Reading Material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a comprehensive guide to AG brewing? I've got a few books that describe the process, but I'm looking for some step by step instrution with equipment ideas included...:tank:

www.howtobrew.com

Then if you think it is an help go by is latest edition, it's more up to date.

The books I have are all good on the basics and fundamentals but are dated.

Charlie Papazian and Dave Line.

Our Wiki is turning into a premium resource for information.

Welcome to the forum.

I think Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" is a really great beginners guide. There is a section on AG brewing somewhere towards the middle of the book because it is meant to take you through the whole prgression of the brewing process. In your situation you could just skip to the AG section. It even has recipes that instead of listing it like a normal recipe gives step by step instructions on exactly what to do. Do one of those step by step and you'll have the process down pat for the future to create your own recipes or whatever.

I've got the "complete Joy of Home brewing" and I have read the AG section. You are right, it a good place to start. I guess I was looking for more specific information like what grains are good for this or that, use this type of hops for this particular style of brew instead of that... I figured if a guy wanted to delve into the "science" of home brewing I could read up on it or just ask a lot of questions here. Added Note: I'm about half way through the "how to Brew" section on AG brewing... looks like I'll need to go back to my high school Chem books for a refresher. I am very pleased with the glossary definitions as well as the way he lays everything out. I think I've found what I'm looking for.

"Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels is a book you should get and read. It's a pretty comprehensive guide to the traditional styles. The first half of the book has chapters about the components needing consideration when designing a recipe (grain selection and amount, hopping, water chemistry, yeast type, etc.). The second half of the book has chapters on the major styles: German Ales (Alt, Kolsch), Pale Ales and Bitters, Stouts, the VMOs (Vienna, Marzen, Oktoberfests), and so on...

I enjoy getting into the numbers and science too and thought it was a good book. It's worth a look. Cheers!

This is a great resource. Basically it shows that it doesn't have to be hard or expensive. I think batch sparging in a cooler is a great way to start, just because it's easier to wrap your brain around. At least it was for me. [Disclaimer: fly sparging works, too! I don't want to start a flame war.]

http://www.tastybrew.com/articles/dennyconn001

+1 on Palmer's book, too.

That said, probably the best way is to find another HBer in your area and be assistant brewer on one of their brews. I'm guessing most HBer's would be more than happy to have you share in the fun. And clean out the mash tun.

thomcat has a real purty avatar

If you want to get real technical I suggest "New Lager Brewing" by Greg Noonan. Best book I've read so far on All Grain Brewing and really makes you want to decoction mash. I've read the whole book about 1.5 years ago and will probably have to read it again soon so I can really understand it since I was very new at all grain.

Back