Beersmith Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warthaug

Reaction score
I'm being lasy, and rather than signing up for a beersmith account, I'm hoping someone here knows the answer.

I've decided to give beersmith a go (long-time promash user). I'm running a dual-boot win7/ubuntu system. I wanted beersmith in windows (so I could side-by-side with promash), but because my "My Documents" folder is on a drive shared by both OS's, beersmith just throws errors saying it cannot find files in the beersmith folder that is supposed to be in the documents folder (I think its trying to do things to the files not allowed by the file system).

Is there any way to force beersmith to put the beersmith folder elsewhere on the computer? There is no option at install, and I was unable to find one in the menu's.

On an unrelated note, I have been trying the linux version and I love it. My Q is if I register the linux version, do I have the option of moving over to windows without paying for another licence?

Bryan

To change the documents folder, go to the menu ribbon and select:

File - Change Documents Directory

Cheers!
Wow, that was too bloody obvious. I'll try tonight when I get home, see if it fixes the problem...

thanx

Bryan

there is also a linux version of BeerSmith now.
I know, and I tried it. However, as I mention in my OP, I'd like to be able to run it in windows, so I can run it along-side my other brewing software.

Bryan

At least in the previous version of Beersmith, you could copy the entire install folder to a thumb drive and use it from there. Not sure if that still applies to 2.0

In the event anyone has the same problem as I, the "Change Documents Directory" worked; for some reason, on the install, beersmith inserts an incorrect slash* that screws everything up; all you need to do is remove the extra slash and even the directory made by brewsmith will function correctly.

*i.e. if beersmith should have made the folder in f:\beersmith, it lists the folder as f:\/beersmith. Removing the '/' fixes the issue

Bryan

Back