Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually hoping for Sept/late Nov, I have some grain to work through.

Personally for me I am hoping for sooner rather than later. Since making the switch to electric brewing I have found the whole process to be:

1: faster
2: easier
3: much more enjoyable

The only issue with the new setup is I find myself brewing more often and using more grain. The minute round 8 opens I will immediately add 3 bags of 2 row. The way my brewing is going now will probably have to buy a sack before the next buy gets started. (Oh well should have bought more last round my bad.)

If anyone is interested I have a Blichmann burner with the leg extensions for sale. Asking $100.00 firm. ($190.00 to buy new) The top of the legs have some stains (boilovers). Would prefer local pickup but would also be willing to meet half way with anyone that participates in this group buy. Anyone interested please shoot me a pm. Also included are the original short legs which have never been used.

Personally for me I am hoping for sooner rather than later. Since making the switch to electric brewing I have found the whole process to be:

The only issue with the new setup is I find myself brewing more often and using more grain. The minute round 8 opens I will immediately add 3 bags of 2 row. The way my brewing is going now will probably have to buy a sack before the next buy gets started. (Oh well should have bought more last round my bad.)

If anyone is interested I have a Blichmann burner with the leg extensions for sale. Asking $100.00 firm. ($190.00 to buy new) The top of the legs have some stains (boilovers). Would prefer local pickup but would also be willing to meet half way with anyone that participates in this group buy. Anyone interested please shoot me a pm. Also included are the original short legs which have never been used.

I am glad it is working out for you! Man you just have to love the electric brewing. Now you see why I am chewing up so much grain :D

Yeah when we get round 8 open, one requirement we are adding is that one entire pallet of 42 bags must be CM-2ROW. Makes it easier to sort and do pickups if we have one pallet we don't have to touch... just point and you grab your x number of bags from the pile. :ban:

jeffb418 said:
Yeah when we get round 8 open, one requirement we are adding is that one entire pallet of 42 bags must be CM-2ROW. Makes it easier to sort and do pickups if we have one pallet we don't have to touch... just point and you grab your x number of bags from the pile. :ban:

That's a great idea. Saving my pennies.....

I cant believe round 8 is starting soon. I have only made it through maybe one bag so far. Are there going to be hops in this buy again?

There will be limited on hops (I think). The splitting takes up a ton of time so we have not yet decided if we will offer hop splitting every other buy, or not. We are still sorting some of the details. Of course hops by the box (11lbs) are still an option for each buy.

CidahMastah said:
There will be limited on hops (I think). The splitting takes up a ton of time so we have not yet decided if we will offer hop splitting every other buy, or not. We are still sorting some of the details. Of course hops by the box (11lbs) are still an option for each buy.

If it is a matter of manpower, I'm sure we could come up with some more volunteers to help with the splits (I absolutely would). I would love more hops. Just an idea, totally understand if its too much of a p.i.t.a.

Ah another ebuild in waiting :)

As for the hops, we are still sorting it out. A lot of it is keeping a delicate balance of not disturbing the work going on in the warehouse (too many people would do this), and keeping coordinating easy. Nothing is in stone yet.

Just curious, is there any sort of seniority thing in these sorts of group buys. I'm fairly new to this community (and young) and am looking to get about 5 sacks. Just wondering if it's frowned upon to get a big buy for a person that's new.

On a side note, I'd be more than willing to help out with sorting and the such. I'm from Buffalo, so it'd be a hike, but I'm sure I could be out there by 10am on sorting day (not sure how the logistics work for these sorts of things).

Cheers,
Marcus

Marcus, welcome. We believe firmly in the principle of brew big or go home! Actually, we have a minimum buy in to limit the number of people and transactions that need to be accommodated. Stay tuned and jeff will post the details when we open the next round.

Marcus, welcome. We believe firmly in the principle of brew big or go home! Actually, we have a minimum buy in to limit the number of people and transactions that need to be accommodated. Stay tuned and jeff will post the details when we open the next round.

Thank you! I've been going through a sack every two to three weeks, and it's getting pretty costly at $60/sack over here. Subbed and ready!

mjap52 said:
Just curious, is there any sort of seniority thing in these sorts of group buys. I'm fairly new to this community (and young) and am looking to get about 5 sacks. Just wondering if it's frowned upon to get a big buy for a person that's new.

On a side note, I'd be more than willing to help out with sorting and the such. I'm from Buffalo, so it'd be a hike, but I'm sure I could be out there by 10am on sorting day (not sure how the logistics work for these sorts of things).

Cheers,
Marcus

Welcome to the "club". You'll find that our group buy is great and the people are fantastic

gcdowd said:
It's really a great group and some very experienced brewers that well help you with any issues you have.

More like a group that makes you spend more money and brew more beer. Not that I'm complaining.....

Well folks, I officially popped my all grain cherry last weekend. I have 5 gal of a pumpkin ale bubbling away in the basement and can't wait to do more. My efficiency sucked, but it was my first AG batch and I honestly was just fumbling through it. I tried following John Palmer's how to brew and did a continuous sparge. Definitely going to batch sparge next time so i don't have to wait so dang long!

ANY WHO... Looking forward to the next round of a group grain buy so I can stop creeping on this thread and join in!

Back