Fermentation bucket vs carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidman199

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of you guys fermenting only in carboy.
What are the advantages of doing this?
Do you also transfer the brew into a secondary carboy?

i like glass carboys cuz you can see everything, plus i feel they're easier to get completely clean. as far as transferring, if i do use a secondary, i transfer it from the 6.5 gal to the 5 gal carboy for secondary.

This debate has gone on for ever and will continue to go on. For me I use glass carboys because I can see the fermentation and you can leave the beer in the glass for a long time without worrying about any kind of oxygen getting to the beer. Of course the down sides are you have to keep it covered so that light doesn't ruin your brew and if you drop it....you might loose a hand.

This debate has gone on for ever and will continue to go on. For me I use glass carboys because I can see the fermentation and you can leave the beer in the glass for a long time without worrying about any kind of oxygen getting to the beer.

that's mainly what I've heard. About the plastic still being porous to allow oxygen in. at my local brewing supply store they've said told me it's fine for a few weeks but any longer and they would recommend glass.

I think the longest I've done is 4 weeks (2 in primary and then 2 in a secondary) and they came out fine....

It depends what I am making. If I am making an english style, with top cropping yeast, I will use a bucket so I can easily harvest the yeast, and because open fermentation is ok for some beers. For long term aging, I use glass. However, I am only buying better bottles now for my carboys purely as a safety issue. I have also long term aged in Better Bottles (1 year) and had no problems.

Back