It's called homebrew not freebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaft333

Reaction score
I got a text from a family member who's been wanting some of my beer. It said something along the lines of, "so, if I brought you 12 pack of empty bottles. Would I get them back full of home brew?"

He's been wanting to buy it (can't), have me deliver it (without offering any tacos), and now just going for the handouts (and not just a couple; he's shootin' for 25%!!!!). I appreciate that he's a fan, but the man needs to understand that I brew for the fun of brewing, drinking something special, a bit of braggery, and the fellowship of tipping a couple back with a bud or two. But I'm not looking to start passing it out like the clerk at the packaged goods store.
The kicker is that he's family so I still got'ta be tactical about turning his offer of filling bottles for him down. Otherwise I will catch hell from others about being stingy or something (damn right I'm stingy!)

I know some of you have dealt with similar stories.

I figure I may have this guy come over on a brew day so he can see what goes into it. But he still isn't getting 25% without bringing over at least a burrito! :p

I don't think I've ever had this problem. I send a 12 pack to my grandparents every now and then, but I brew so much that's hardly ever enough to miss. And I can't really say it's an unfair trade, they live 15 minutes from my apartment and feed me great home cooked meals all the time instead of me relying on my own will to cook.

Tell him to go to the LHBS and pick up his favorite recipe along with a couple cases of bottles....bring them over with at least a 6 pack to drink while your brewing....and teach him how!! He can come back over to help you sanitize and bottle!!

Sounds like the guy has tried to buy it from you but you refused that, so what other options does he have?

I have been having a similar issue. I have a brewbuddy that sometimes comes over to brew on my equipment since he can only do extracts. I don't mind because we usually experiment and it's always fun to have someone else brew.

But he always seems to show up late after I have done all of the heavy lifting to get the gear setup, then leaves after the boil before I clean everything up. So basically, we split the cost and the beer, and I get to do the cleanup and setup by myself.

To that, I say BS. I will brew alone from now.

As someone building a pipeline, I understand why you get a little stingy. But helibrewer has the right idea. Have him come over for a brew day, and actually contribute ingredients and labor. In exchange, he gets his share of the beer from that brew day.

Sounds like the guy has tried to buy it from you but you refused that, so what other options does he have?

Same thing people do when folks get their beer at the store. Hang out with them and drink it - supply tacos if they're supplying beer. :mug:

As someone building a pipeline, I understand why you get a little stingy. But helibrewer has the right idea. Have him come over for a brew day, and actually contribute ingredients and labor. In exchange, he gets his share of the beer from that brew day.

This. Even if he doesn't help brew and bottle, have him pay for the whole batch. Then he gets the whole batch.

Oh, and he brings a burrito, too.

I just gave my neighbors an 18 pk of pumpkin ale since they supplied one of the pumpkins used, so a burrito is a damn fair price for a 12 pk of tasty homebrew, if ya ask me. :ban:
Sharing's nice, and I'm always one to hand out my brews freely, but it's also nice to know your friends/family appreciate the effort put into brewing good beer.
That said, I know quite a few people that are getting homebrew in their stocking this year. :tank:

I'm pretty stingy with mine, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. But I have no problem offering beer to people who are visiting or bringing it to gatherings outside of my house.

BUT, I go absolutely mad when someone asks for it or otherwise tries to obligate me to provide some. I find that to be wildly insulting and disrespectful and make it damn clear to the offending idiot. If anyone ever asked me to fill 12 bottles for them, they would be lucky if I only returned them filled with water.

BUT, I go absolutely mad when someone asks for it or otherwise tries to obligate me to provide some. I find that to be wildly insulting and disrespectful and make it damn clear to the offending idiot. If anyone ever asked me to fill 12 bottles for them, they would be lucky if I only returned them filled with water.
True... Offering your beer up is alot different than someone asking for or expecting beer. I'd feel like someone was putting me in a pickle if they showed up with their empties expecting me to refill them.

I'm pretty stingy with mine, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. But I have no problem offering beer to people who are visiting or bringing it to gatherings outside of my house.

Really? Doesn't bother me at all. I have had more than a few occasions where folks have asked me to brew a batch for their wedding, son's graduation, whatever. I brew it, keg it, and take it over to their house. They bring me the empty keg when they are done.

Since he is family, tell him to bring over the 12 pack of bottles filled with your favorite commercial microbrew. Trade beer for beer.

I have run into this with a guy I know. He kept badgering me to fill his growlers for him since I had so much, etc. I politely changed the subject the first two times, then instituted a policy that he could have all he wanted as long as he hung out and drank it with me at my house. Haven't heard from that mooch in months.

I would happily brew if someone asked me to hook them up for a wedding or party or something, but that would be an honor. Totally different than the guy who wants to stop for 5 min to drain a gallon and a half of my hard work and split.

I would not be against a guy bringing a burrito or two to munch on while we drink, but they better be good home made burritos, none of that taco bell crap! Always bring something to the party. :)

reminds me of this guy that stayed with us for a while.

I have a keezer and i put one of my cornies in the keezer, carbed, pulled a taster (yes taster) glass and tried it. Figured it could age a bit longer. Came back a few weeks later to finally dive into the keg, pull the tap handle...and.....pfffffff C02.

What the f*@%!?

He had drank the whole keg without me knowing or getting even 1 whole pint (we were always home at different times). I usually offered him a glass or two of other kegs at night if i'd see him and i guess he thought that meant endless supply of free brew. We are good now though, we talked about it :mug:

So yes, i feel your pain :D

Really? Doesn't bother me at all.

A lot of it is in the way they ask. Obviously just asking is not a problem. Like my cousin for example. He's like my brother, but won't ever just go pour a beer. He will always ask, even if its for his second or third after already being told he could go get one.

For an example of me exploding, take this one. My wife's friend's husband took a liking to my beer. We became friendly when they used to hang out, and I invited him to come brew with me. He brought a growler over from a brewpub in NJ that his bad frequently plays. Cool, right? Well the next time he came, he brought another one, empty, and asked me to fill both of them as he was leaving. I filled one (he did bring it to me full after all), and made a point of handing back the other one to him empty. He asked me when I was brewing again 2-3 times before he got the point that he was no longer welcome.

I have posted about this several times. i DESPISE it when someone asks me for it.. especially in a way that makes me feel like they believe it is just free easy cheap beer. i LOVE giving beer to folks and getting their critiques of it. However I have a large sobe display cooler in my computer room FULL of beer. I know that if I just said have at it, that would be a one night binge for a couple of them. NO appreciation for the beer just the alcohol if that makes sense.
On the other hand a good friend of mine that I give beer to occasionally asked me the other day if I would be willing to bring some home brew to a club meeting he is involved in. he said he had told some of the guys how good my beer is and they did not believe that home made beer could smoke commercial stuff. These guys are dark beer drinkers I guess so I am actually looking forward to the challenge lol. I am just weird I guess.

Funny timing for this to come up as I'm delivering samples to everyone tomorrow. I'm new still, got 3 batches of beer bottled (and a bunch of wine/JAOM/apfelwein waiting to be bottled). When friends found out I started brewing, I of course had lots of offers to do taste testing. I love making stuff for other people, so I thought it was cool.

But as I was calculating all the people I promised samples to, I realized, damn, between my taste testing and giving samples, I'll only have a case left of each. That's obviously a fair amount, but still.

I've got one or two that just wanted free alcohol. They'd be happy drinking a cheap wine and listerine cocktail as long as they could get wasted. Others I know will give me feedback, and appreciate the freebies. Another friend asked how he could buy beer from me, and I just said buy the recipe kit that you want and I'll make it for a 6 pack of the final product. He was more than happy with that.

So pretty much my plan is that those who really appreciate it will get samples from each batch. Others, I'll give one here and there. The "get me drunk however you can" type, well, I'll politely steer away from the subject.

Kosch

I'm feelin' for ya. I hand out bottles to my co-workers (the people I know well) and they give me feedback. They'll often buy me lunch or bring in something homemade in return. There's one guy - who's never once even said hello to me in two years - tell me how he felt slighted that I never brought one for him. Needless to say I brought one in and he never said thank you or even commented on it. Or the homebrewer that came to a party I was throwing; brought a growler from a local place, drained at least half my keg, left without saying a word and took the full growler.

Not to belabor the point, but these are a few instances I've experienced, and I've learned now to draw the line in the sand fast. It's great to be generous, and of course you want to share something awesome that you created, but if you don't nip it you're opening up the flood gates. I would demand more burritos.

This essentially happened at my HBC. It's at a college so naturally alot of the members are younger generation undergrads, grads, and some local working professionals (like myself). It got to the point where it was just a bunch of mooches, although genuinely curious about the craft, mostly weren't serious and just wanted a free pre-game then leaving after a few pints, never bringing any of their own or contributing to the core of the club. The pres sent a nasty email after we noticed the club was turning into a frat party and then it reverted back into what a club should be.

I also have my fraternity brothers who offer to pay me for homebrew, to which I just simply insist they purchase the ingredients or a kit and I'll gladly brew it. Seems to be the best solution. I must agree that tacos are a viable commodity as well.

I don't know man, I like the brewing and I'd pay someone else to keep doing it. Ask for a case of beer or five? It's yours. Life is too short to be nickel and diming your friends on beer- that's what having friends is about. Need to sleep on my couch cuz the ladyfriend kicked ya out? As long as you need. I know these are different situations, want/need, but if you are consistently generous with the people that matter to you, then you'll find the world is consistently generous back. All this stuff gets paid back or it doesn't. Life isn't about keeping score. I didn't get into brewing to make money and I didn't get into having friends because I thought that it would work out to my benefit.

Since he is family, tell him to bring over the 12 pack of bottles filled with your favorite commercial microbrew. Trade beer for beer.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. You will find out if he wants your beer or free beer. I don't mind friends/family appreciating the bounty of my blood, sweat and tears. But hell, if any free beer will do, they are welcome to the back of my fridge, where I keep all of the **** beer that the Unknowing bring to my parties. You know what I'm talking about. That little corner of your fridge where the beers your uncle brought to you last party live. Yeah, this Buds for you, my free loading friend. Have at it and enjoy.

I don't know man, I like the brewing and I'd pay someone else to keep doing it. Ask for a case of beer or five? It's yours. Life is too short to be nickel and diming your friends on beer- that's what having friends is about. Need to sleep on my couch cuz the ladyfriend kicked ya out? As long as you need. I know these are different situations, want/need, but if you are consistently generous with the people that matter to you, then you'll find the world is consistently generous back. All this stuff gets paid back or it doesn't. Life isn't about keeping score. I didn't get into brewing to make money and I didn't get into having friends because I thought that it would work out to my benefit.

I generally agree... but I refuse to give up so much beer that it disrupts my pipeline. Hell hath no fury like me when I run out of homebrew.

I've just started brewing but it seems to me like about anything else. Someone expecting something that I do for nothing or next to nothing is a bit of an insult to me. E.G.: I work with computer for a living and for 20+ years I've had friends & family wanting "a little consultation" which turns to sizable time consumption. Now I'm willing to help friends & family but when it's over & over for years on end it gets to be called a loss in my spreadsheet. I'd say it's similar to home brewing. One puts time, effort & money into brewing and it looks "free" to others. In my opinion it's just best to sit them down, explain the particulars to them & see where they sit. There's nothing like a truthful conversation to clear the cloudy line between you & others.

And if all else fails a 12ga always works well:)

When i brew 5 gallons I bet 3-4 goes right out the door. My only rule is my bottles come back to me.

Why? Because people love my brews and I love that. It also allows me to get a lot of feedback on the different things I'm doing. As the brewing focus's more on the brewpub that will go down a lot, but they understand that. If a friend brought me a 12 pack of empty bottles I would happily fill them.

Yeah, but are you offering or is it expected of you? That's where the thread kin of started....

it's not expected of me, and i don't think it is expected of him. Seems to me the guy likes his beer, he can't buy it, so he is trying to find a deal they can work out.

There's always thing I don't see or expect. Especially late night :)
I guess I like to be appreciated as I appreciate others. It's all cyclical...

Bernie Brewer said:
Really? Doesn't bother me at all. I have had more than a few occasions where folks have asked me to brew a batch for their wedding, son's graduation, whatever. I brew it, keg it, and take it over to their house. They bring me the empty keg when they are done.

Same here. I don't mind at all - in fact, I prefer when people ask, let's me know they like it!

reminds me of this guy that stayed with us for a while.

I have a keezer and i put one of my cornies in the keezer, carbed, pulled a taster (yes taster) glass and tried it. Figured it could age a bit longer. Came back a few weeks later to finally dive into the keg, pull the tap handle...and.....pfffffff C02.

What the f*@%!?

He had drank the whole keg without me knowing or getting even 1 whole pint (we were always home at different times). I usually offered him a glass or two of other kegs at night if i'd see him and i guess he thought that meant endless supply of free brew. We are good now though, we talked about it :mug:

So yes, i feel your pain :D
Okay, so I'm rather generous with my beer. However... death would swifty rain down on that individual if I were in your shoes....

Kosch said:
Another friend asked how he could buy beer from me, and I just said buy the recipe kit that you want and I'll make it for a 6 pack of the final product. He was more than happy with that.

In that case, I'd probably keep half (i.e. a case.) Not that I'm selfish about it (*far* more of my homebrew gets consumed by friends and family than by me), but brewing is quite time-consuming, especially since I do all-grain. For me to keep only a sixer, I'd have to just knock out a simple extract brew. Because I can brew a beer for less than $5/case ($2/gallon) with my AG setup and bulk ingredients (and there are, of course, other benefits as well), but the tradeoff is that it's also a lot more work, and since the person would be paying for their own beer, the upside of cheap batches becomes irrelevant to me, but I still get all the downside.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the process of brewing. It's the closest thing I get to meditation... it's definitely good for the head as well as the soul. But somebody who wants you to brew a batch for them is not very likely to just get the one batch and never ask again - unless your beer sucks, of course ;). And if you do it for one person, you gotta do it for everyone. The problem is that just about wants great yet inexpensive beer. If people had their way, I'd be in a perpetual state of brewing! It just too much...

Also, quite possibly my favorite part of the whole homebrew process is recipe formulation, producing an amazing beer by using my own creativity to put together an ingredients list as well as a detailed procedure - a combination of the usual steps (e.g. sparging, boiling, etc), necessary choices (e.g. mash schedule, ferm temps, etc), and the optional and/more advanced techniques and processes (e.g. encouraging ester production by deliberate underpitching, using foil instead of an airlock, and brewing it at a much higher gravity than necessary so that it may be diluted after fermentation). I've *never* bought a kit. Ever. And not being able to have such creative control really takes a lot away from the joy of homebrewing, for me. If I'm going to be putting all that time and effort into brewing for somebody, they better not try to eliminate my favorite part. I can try to work with somebody to tailor something to their (and perhaps even my) tastes - which I've done many times, though rarely have I just handed that person the bulk of the beer - but if somebody insisted on doing a kit instead, I might possibly even feel a little insulted.

Now, if somebody asks me to brew a clone of a commercial beer that is available around here, I try to politely inform them of the almost absurd of time and effort that goes into making a batch, and that they should just buy it. If they already have a good idea of the work involved in making a batch and are just trying to use me to get their favorite beer for cheap, I'll rip them a new one. And it has nothing to do with me being selfish - I would rather brew something a bit different but of the same style, or a different style that shares similar qualities to the ones they enjoy about the commercial beer, that hopefully broadens their appreciation for the style(s) and craft beer in general. And if they really only just happen to like that specific beer, I'd be more than happy to buy a case of it to have on hand when they come over to my place, or even to bring with me if I'm going to their place.

And that's actually really the heart of this issue for me. It's not just that I don't mind being generous - I genuinely enjoy sharing with people. But some of the examples mentioned here would never get another drop of beer from me. While I like sharing, I DON'T like being used, taken advantage of, and *especially* manipulated simply for a person to get some free alcohol. If it's somebody who barely talked to me until they learned I brewed beer, and suddenly they're asking for some - forget it. People I have over are always free to have as much of my homebrew as they'd like (responsibly, of course... I *really* don't appreciate somebody coming over and just getting totally blacked-out drunk, unless that's pretty much what I invited them over to do), and I don't mind sending people home with a few bottles of brew. If it's something they didn't get a chance to try, or which I know they genuinely enjoy more than beers they can get commercially, then they won't even have to ask. But if it's somebody who's just been knocking them back simply because it's alcohol and it's freely available, and they repeatedly ASK me if they can take home a 6er or more of it - as opposed to someone who might ask, *without* specifying a large amount (really, specifying ANY amount makes it a borderline demand) on a single occasion where they happen to be particularly blown away by a specific beer - they're not going home with anything. And you can forget the ones who want something to take and enjoy in the comfort of their own hone, who can't even be bothered to join you in the comfort of YOURS!

Now, if somebody wants me to make them batches simply because they don't want to pay full price for beer, I won't immediately lose it. What I'll do is offer them the opportunity to help them learn to brew, even giving them full use of my equipment so that they can decide whether it's something they want to invest in. And I'll help them brew as often as they like, asking for only a bottle or two in return (I DO want to try something I'm involved in, after all), but make it clear that it won't just be me doing all the work while they sit back and drink - I'll show them how to do something if really needed, but they'll be getting their hands dirty, doing the bulk of the physical stuff and definitely cleaning their own mess (*especially* if it's MY equipment). Although if it's something where a 2nd person can be a huge help (e.g. bottling), I'll certainly help out. Why do I do it this way? Because if somebody just wants to save money, there's no reason they can't make their own beer, and it will give them a much better understanding of the time and effort involved in producing that batch. One person actually took me up on that offer, and is now a fellow homebrewer. Far more often though, people get even the slightest sense of the amount of work involved, and decide their time is worth far more than the bit of cash they'd save, and just continue to ask me to brew them batches, apparently not caring about the fact that they are continually asking me to do something FOR THEM that they are absolutely unwilling to do for themselves! And that's what *really* gets me - I enjoy sharing and am constantly going out of my way to help people, but when it becomes obvious that somebody is really just trying to take advantage of my generosity and willingness to help, I just can't continue allowing myself to be used. Heck, I'd probably give somebody half of an extremely expensive and work-intensive brew that I both made *and* paid for, if they would just help me clean everything up properly. That way, it doesn't matter if they can't afford to pay for it, and/or insist that they just really happen to like my beer (and thus brewing their own wouldn't cut it). But if they still never have even the slightest willingness to help with *just* the cleaning part, and yet have no problem asking for a large portion of a batch where I take care of that aspect IN ADDITION TO EVERYTHING ELSE, the message is loud and clear.

I would differ with this opinion a bit. Some people think that they can come over and drink what they want, whenever they want, at a home brewer's expense.

I think it's about teaching people tactfully that a "please" and "thank you" and an offering to pay for some of the home brew "cost" goes a long way to me giving out more of my brews.

My friends know when they come to a party they better bring some food or beer. I also casually remind them what a batch costs me in price and in hours spent brewing/kegging etc.

I make plenty of money, so its not a money issue, its a "respect me and my effort brewing this beer" thing with me.

No one should freeload, period. I have given plenty of beer away under the right circumstances, but for someone to mooch and have no respect for the time and effort I put into it, no way man. It would only happen ONCE !!

Just my opinion. :mug:

Ha! I can't wait to get to a point in my brewing where this is actually and issue!

As for mooching, my screen name says it all:rockin:!

I would differ with this opinion a bit. Some people think that they can come over and drink what they want, whenever they want, at a home brewer's expense.

I think it's about teaching people tactfully that a "please" and "thank you" and an offering to pay for some of the home brew "cost" goes a long way to me giving out more of my brews.

My friends know when they come to a party they better bring some food or beer. I also casually remind them what a batch costs me in price and in hours spent brewing/kegging etc.

I make plenty of money, so its not a money issue, its a "respect me and my effort brewing this beer" thing with me.

No one should freeload, period. I have given plenty of beer away under the right circumstances, but for someone to mooch and have no respect for the time and effort I put into it, no way man. It would only happen ONCE !!

Just my opinion. :mug:

I couldn't agree with this entire post more. It's not about money, or even the beer...because what fun is brewing 5+ gallons of brew if you have no one to enjoy it with? It's just that a simple "please" or "thanks" goes a VERY long way. Hell, the best example is in rush hour traffic. If I let that lady/guy slide in front of me, they BETTER throw up a quick wave to say "thanks". If they do, all road rage seems to go away. If they don't, it compounds. It's the little things for me. I doubt I'd ever make any friends pay for brew, but if they offered, that would make a whole lot of difference compared to expecting me to just hand it out to them.

Empty bottles? Screw that!

Tell him to bring you 2 sixers of your favorite craft brew. You'll enjoy those beers, de-label the bottles and then refill them with your homebrew.

I don't have the OP's problem, since I don't hav any friends. :eek: But I think if that situation ever occured, I'd probably do one of 2 things:

1. ask for a 12 pack of craft brew in exchange "because i need the bottles"

or

2. send them to the LHBW with a list of ingredients to purchase, then brew it for them and give them half.

either way, the concept is to make them recognize that the beer doesn't just fall out of the trees. There is a cost. A friend will accept the contribution, a mooch will move on. Problem solved either way.

In another thread, I read about a kegging home brewer that would set out a "fresh" keg at a group gathering with the dip tube cut half way. the keg would "run out" and then magically refill itself after the party had broken up.

Jesus, just brew the guy up a batch and give it to him, or invite him over for a brew day. Brewing beer by yourself is kinda boring, a little company would be fun don't ya think?

If the guy is a crappy in law brew a small batch of crap, spit in it, and give it to him.

edit. It's suppose to be fun right? Make it fun, brew a beer with the guy and give it to him.

Back