Do you think this will keep my supply up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dondlelinger

Reaction score
So my main goal here is always to have enough beer ready so I never have to buy beer from the store again.. I don't drink like a fish or anything but sometimes on the weekend me and the GF like to drink a few cases.

Problem was I made a brew and would condition it it would take about 4-5weeks then within 2 weeks we had no beer again. So i figured if I bought another set of bottles I could age 1, have one just bottled then start another one on fermentation and I'm hoping that would keep us in beer for awhile.

I think this should work but, I only have 1 fermentor and 2 sets of bottles (24liters each set)

You think this is enough or do I need 1 more set still or maybe another fermentor?

Get more fermenters. If you get thru a batch in 2 weeks, you need at least 2 fermenters, maybe more, and get more bottles.

You need more bottles and fermentors. I have 8 cases of bottles and 3 fermentors and I think it is just enough.

Brew how often you drink.If you drink so much per week brew that or twice that every 2 weeks. I brew small batch every week just because i dont (try) to drink more than a few a day,and like to make a different one every week,gives me something to look forward to every week,and to try a new bottle t every week, and even give some away and try some new/different craft store beers also.
p.s. so your just saying you drink like a fish on the weekends? ha

Yeah you will definitely need more bottles and another fermenter or two.

If you drink 48 beers in 3 weeks, you will have to brew every 3 weeks and never have your fermenter empty.

Brew beer and wait 3 weeks to ferment
Bottle fermented beer and brew another batch.

Now you have 48 beers conditioning for 3 weeks and another batch fermenting for 3 weeks (all rough timing).

After another 3 weeks go by, you will have 48 beers to drink and another batch to bottle...and then you will have to brew another batch.

So now you have a batch to drink, a batch conditioning and a batch fermenting. If it takes you 3 weeks to drink 48 beers, you should be fine with 1 fermenter and 100 bottles. BUT that means fermenting and condition both have to take only 3 weeks each and you don't drink 48 beers in less than 3 weeks...and we all know fermenting and conditioning can take longer than 3 weeks.

It would be much easier to get at least 1 more fermenter and have at least 150 bottles. This way you will have a nice pipeline going. The more you get, the more you will have in the pipeline and the less beer you will have to buy.

You could always get into kegging and screw bottles all together lol

I don't drink like a fish, and I certainly don't kill a case by myself in a weekend. During the week I'll have one or two pints each night, with maybe one (or two on rare occasions) more each weekend day. I do my best to brew every other week/weekend so that I can try to keep a good pipeline going. That includes some bigger brews that need more time to age either in batch form, or once in bottles. I have three big brews in bottles right now, three 'normal' drinking batches (in various states of depletion) in bottles too. I also have three batches in process with the oldest coming due for bottling soon. I brewed on Sunday, and plan to brew again on next Saturday (5/7)... I hope to at least average a batch every two weeks for the rest of the year. So that's about 14 more batches including the one on 5/7.

I would also advise getting more primaries to use and enough bottles (or get setup for kegs) to keep the pipeline flowing. I would even plan to have at least one or two 'extra' primaries on hand, for when you either have a sudden chance to brew, or come across something that you just HAVE to ferment. :rockin: That's why I also have a few strains of Lalvin Labs yeast in the fridge at all times. :D

If you guys consider 2 cases a week (24 bottles between 2 people) alot of beer then i guess I do drink alot. I don't drink at all during the week but weekends like having a few...

Wow really I figured :

2 weeks ferment

bottle first batch.
start 2nd batch:

2 weeks ferment..now first batch is aged 2 weeks
bottle 2nd batch

Start ferment 3rd batch.

2-3 weeks ferment First batch good to drink (4-5weeks), second batch aged 2 weeks
Bottle 3rd batch ...dont have these bottles:(.. So i do need minimum 1 more set of bottles.

Man every time I think Im ready to save money making beer I have to spend more..

I brew 23liters a shot by the way. so 64 beer per brew... so 2 cases = 24 beer.
so this will last me and the gf for 2 fun weekends, and 1 not so fun weekend.. lol (we dont drink every weekend so 3 weeks would be fine)

So if I got 1 more set of bottles I figure I can manage with just 1 fermentor but it always has to be fermenting.

Think of a pipeline as an investment, you will have to spend some money to save some money and the saving part is a loose term depending how you drink.Its a hobby that can cost money,inniatially but you can make it cheaper than buying but if your more passionate about your "hobby" you may want to either make it simply or be fascinated by all the mechanics of it and invest more. But you still can make good beer for a fair price compared to store and may even think it more valuable also.
When people compare it to the store think of this. How often do you just blow your money on a bar, something you dont really want, food,things you dont need bla bla bla.Its kinda that way.

In the long run, you save money - after all about $.50 to $.75 per 12 oz bottle (US - extract, all grain is less)...
That means your beer is going to be about 1/2 of what you'd buy it in the store for - $9/6pk of craft beer. So with just one 5 gal batch, you save about $36.... (8 6pk/batch). Well then how much will you save per batch over buying? how much are bottles? at $1/bottle (unless you get them pre-filled and then at $9/6pk :) ) you are going to come out ahead in the long run... say about 2 or 3 batches

I do 3-6 weeks in primary, bottle, condition/carbonate 3+ weeks then enjoy... That's for modest OG batches. Bigger brews get more time...

The hardest part is getting the system primed. Basically, you brew every other week, for 2-3 batches, bottling as the brews are actually ready (IMO, 2 weeks is about 2-4 weeks too short) and then filling those primaries on the next brew day. You can shorten the time IF you setup a fermentation chamber. But, if you don't have one of those, or someplace thermally stable where you can ferment in the correct range, you'll need to give the batches more time to become great. Personally, I don't have any issue with giving a brew the amount of time IT needs to be ready. Learning patience with your brew is one of the best lessons you can learn. Often one of the hardest to learn too.

My typical schedule is more like this...
Day 0: Brew batch 1.
+14 days: Brew batch 2.
+14 days: Check batch 1, bottle if ready, brew batch 3.
+14 days: Check batch 2, bottle if ready, brew batch 4, check batch 2 if not already bottled.
rinse, repeat...

Other variables include aging on oak cubes/chips for 3-6 weeks (or longer depending on the brew)... There are other flavor elements you can also add post active fermentation, which will extend out the time from grain to glass.

I don't think it's all that uncommon for a good number of us to have several batches in process at the same time. Like myself, having three batches of beer going, plus four batches of mead and a batch of hard ginger ale all at some point in the process (not in bottles yet)... Be patient with your home brew and you'll be richly rewarded... :rockin:

BTW, since I went all grain, I can typically brew a normal gravity batch (for me at least) for $9-$13. That's with using washed yeast. If I get new/fresh yeast, that goes up $6-$8 for that batch. I then wash what I get from the first batch, save it and use it for future batches. Going with that method, and using washed yeast, I should be able to brew a big beer (~11-12% ABV barley wine, or 9-10% old ale) for $18-$23... Basically, I make 5 gallons of 5.5-6.5% ABV brews for $9-$13, which is less than you pay for a 12 pack of 'decent' beer in stores.

Sounds like you are buying empty bottles, and if that is the case I can see why you would hesitate to get more. search around for a source for free bottles, and I can't believe you aren't dying to get another fermenter. When my second batch was fermenting I just had to get another fermenter to get more stuff going. I now have 2 and a half fermenters (one is a mr beer that I found). i have about 5 cases in bottles, and 2 batches about ready to bottle.

The more you have somewhere along the process, the less likely you will be to drink green beer. I think instead of summing up how much you drink per week and brewing planning on that, I would double it. You never know when friends are going to come over, fermentation will take longer, carbonation will take longer, brew a big beer, brew some apfelwein, or just not have time to brew when you want too.

Basically even if you drink 10 beers a week, I would still say that you should get another fermenter, and work on getting more bottles.

Between the 2 hundred+ that I have spent just getting 3 batches into the fermentor(s) and the thousands of dollars in available upgrades and stuff I don't have yet, I am pretty sure that I will never save money by making my own beer.
But it sure is fun!

Cheers,
Collin

from my short experience also it seems like 2 months+ gives your beer the best flavor, earlier it just goes from good the great to greater to awesome to holy ****. too..... man why did i drink those then..

In canada 5 galon (5 cases) of the cheapest store bought beer you can buy = 120$

This beer (even though its just beer kits (coopers)) = Only costs me 20$ for 5 galons 30$ if I get fancy and add honey...

So technically it saves me 90-100$ per brew.

You guys are all right and I know it but sigh... I just bought these bottles today now I know I need more lol..

When does it stop lol

More fermenting vessels.

Immediately.

Also, more bottles. They last forever, unless you have hard tiled floors and unruly guests.

Like Michael Jordan used to say; Just Do It.

Your woman, your taste buds, and your wallet will thank you. How much is a 7gal bucket at the LHBS? Like $17? Go get two, TOMORROW. You'll thank yourself immediately. If you want to thank me for pushing you into it, I'll PM you my address. Thank me in homebrew.

;)

How much is a 7gal bucket at the LHBS? Like $17? Go get two, TOMORROW. You'll thank yourself immediately. If you want to thank me for pushing you into it, I'll PM you my address. Thank me in homebrew.

Problem is not 1 LHB shop in my town.. and shipping is retarded. I got my coopers micro brewery + 1 set of extra bottles, now i need a second set.

Problem is not 1 LHB shop in my town.. and shipping is retarded. I got my coopers micro brewery + 1 set of extra bottles, now i need a second set.

Hm.

Well that throws a little wrench in the gears. Where's the closest HBS? How about a source for regular 5gal buckets, and you can make 4gal batches frequently? The bottles should be easy enough; just buy a few cases of whatever cheap swill you can find with a pry-off bottle, and drink it while your next couple batches are fermenting. You can then use those bottles for your beer.

This thing does take a bit of an initial investment, but once that money is spent and sitting on the shelf, you won't miss it when you're turning out a case of beer for $8. I first got into brewing so I could get good beer for cheaper than I was able to buy it for. Forty-two batches later, it's a hell of a lot of fun, and I'm turning out (what I consider to be) some excellent, top-shelf brews for less than I'd pay to go back to my Natty Ice days.

Where's the closest HBS? How about a source for regular 5gal buckets, and you can make 4gal batches frequently?
I can find a regular food grade bucket I could use for fermenting (my gf is a cook, so she has those at her work) But I would have to mod it. My coopers fermentor is 6 canadian gallons (30 liters). The closest HBS is 4 hours away that i found anyways.

The bottles should be easy enough; just buy a few cases of whatever cheap swill you can find with a pry-off bottle, and drink it while your next couple batches are fermenting. You can then use those bottles for your beer.

I found a Ubrew a town over from me where I bought some plastic PET 500ml bottles... so I guess Ill have to go there again...all they sell is bottles though.

my kits come from a grocery store here.. lol.. its the best i can do !

From what I have heard and pretty much figured out, if you are getting into this hobby to try and save money, then don't do it. By the time you pay for all of the equipment and then batches, it's not that much of a savings. This is more of a hobby then it is a way to save money. I don't have everything I want yet and I am $1000 into equipment alone. Granted, I am doing All Grain. I also got all of my bottles for free. Keep in mind that when you are figuring out how much it costs to brew beer, the equipment has to go in there somewhere. Like I said, it's not going to save you much money. And as far as keeping your pipeline filled, then get another fermentor and another case of bottles.

From what I have heard and pretty much figured out, if you are getting into this hobby to try and save money, then don't do it.

I agree but it depends if you can hold off buying the big ticket items... boil pot ..mash tern, ect. I have no interest in going all grain as I don't feel for spending 6 hours to brew a batch of beer... my last kit tasted just fine.

Honestly I'm quite content with my kit brewing.. Its cheap enough and it takes literally 1 hour to get it in fermentor. The quality of beer is good enough for me.. so i beg to differ.

Unless you must have all the fancy gear, kegs ect. you can save money..alot actually(mostly in canada).... Its just I need a system to keep beer flowing. from what i gathered I should be able to do this with 1 more set of bottles... then I can make beer 20-30$ a pop every 2 weeks and have enough beer for me and the gf.. well least thats the plan.. I guess i will find out for sure once its actually in full rotation.. how it works.

I understand what your saying but I have no intention of going all grain any time soon anyways...or kegging.. If i did that i would either have to travel for hours or pay huge shipping fees, just for material to make the brew...I'm not interested in doing that.

My kits are found locally so its much cheaper, for me.

Sounds like you are using pre-hopped extract kits... IMO, that's the lowest quality end of home brewing. I also see it for people with no real cooking skills (probably have issues controlling a boil)... IF you have some decent kitchen skills, then start going at least to un-hopped kits, with specialty grains. You should be able to get a batch from flame-on to in primary in <3 hours. You can also go all grain on the cheap with the BIAB method (just need some decent sized pots)... You can use aluminum pots (far less money than good SS pots) that are also easy to convert into kettles.

Personally, I stepped from extract with specialty grains (three batches) to a partial mash batch, and then to all grain all within a couple of months of starting to home brew. Once you go all grain, and buy your grain smart (group grain buy) and buy your hops in bulk via online vendors, you can really save money AND get top notch brews in the process.

I prefer all grain brewing for several reasons. Not the least of which is ingredient control. I KNOW what's in each of my brews when I mash the grain. With extract, you never REALLY know what grains are in the extract. You could have an idea of what percentages of other grains are in there, but good luck in getting actual hard numbers. For me, spending 4-6 hours making a great batch is a small price to pay for what you get. Then again, I'm also one to cook most things from scratch. There are more than a few things I make that take all day. I'm even looking to make a batch of Italian gravy that my father made one time, that was a ~3 day process.

Shop smart and things are really affordable. Don't check around and you'll over-pay. Same with most things in this world...

Like I said, as far as keeping your supply up, get another fermenting bucket and at least one case of bottles, if not 2.

Yeah damn.. I'm gonna try and skip the second fermentor for now get 1 more set of bottles and see if that will work for now... Later Ill buy another coopers micro brew kit if I need another fermentor.

Sounds like you are using pre-hopped extract kits... IMO, that's the lowest quality end of home brewing. I also see it for people with no real cooking skills (probably have issues controlling a boil)... IF you have some decent kitchen skills,

Yup coopers beer kits, and to tell you the truth I don't mind them at all...they taste fine if made properly.

Certain kits taste fine.. I am really not interested in mashing and all that as i stated.. I can cook just fine. I just dont have oodles of cash to blow on new pots and mash tern and this and that... and buying grains form online vendors... if you understood the prices of shipping in canada you might understand why... (i tried to get a kit shipped to me..for a town 4 hours away...the kit cost 13$ and shipping was 16$.. so 30$ for just the 2lb kit extract..and you still need dme or lme ... I never ordered it of course but, grains will cost similar in shipping prices, to me that's to much... If i pay 70$ for 5 galons well i might as well just go to Ubrew and pay them 80$ and get them to make me beer instead.

I know the quality is better but.. I'm happy with kits lol. Until home-brew is more mainstream in canada Im quite happy with the kits.. Some people do this hobby for the shear love of it,experimenting...ect. I do it to save $$ to save up for a house, and still enjoy beer every week...

I wish my gf was a cook. Or my wife, for that matter..

HAHAHA too funny. Problem is shes a cook that cooks at work..but not at home..lol

kinda like the mechanics we all know with the broken down vehicals..they do their job at work but don't wanna do it outside of work hahah

Dondlelinger, Some things have an initial high investment cost that decreases over time. Sure, the initial Coopers kits (or any other for that matter) are kind of expensive, but as time progresses the cost per brew drops. Compare 6 months of homebrewing to a similar amount of store bought brews over the same amount of time (it seems, especially in Canada). The Coopers kits will more than pay for themselves. Invest in DIY stuff, until (if needed) you can buy "pro" kits. Plenty of homebrewers use just extract and they're perfectly happy. When you're ready (and want to) make the jump into partial mashes. I just wish I had more time to brew. I keep having to put it off...

Dondlelinger, Some things have an initial high investment cost that decreases over time. Sure, the initial Coopers kits (or any other for that matter) are kind of expensive, but as time progresses the cost per brew drops. Compare 6 months of homebrewing to a similar amount of store bought brews over the same amount of time (it seems, especially in Canada). The Coopers kits will more than pay for themselves. Invest in DIY stuff, until (if needed) you can buy "pro" kits. Plenty of homebrewers use just extract and they're perfectly happy. When you're ready (and want to) make the jump into partial mashes. I just wish I had more time to brew. I keep having to put it off...

Yah don't get me wrong its all good! I just never realized the extra things that were required...starsan,measuring spoons/cups, pots, ph papers(for starsan), funnels, fermentation chillers, yeast nutrient, PH water tablets,hoses, wine thief, more bottles, ect ect ect. that went beyond my initial purchase of the coopers micro brew kit. I seem to have it sorted then I need to buy something else... and with no LBS its almost always a struggle or a fortune(shipping mainly) just to find basic things, that all you can just run out and grab. I know this is saving me cash in the long run I just want a very basic setup for now and maybe ill go further later but for now I'm very happy with the kits. They are cheap and I can get those locally.

Thats anouther big reason I dont go mash or gain because I seriously can't see myself sitting at home on the weekend and spending all day brewing I have to many things I wanna do..1 hour im out the door.XD

Get three fermenters and more bottles.

If you brew a batch and let it sit in the fermenter for 3 weeks you can still brew every week and have an open fermenter.

Well if you're trying to save money then I'd suggest going to local restaurants/bars and see if they'd be willing to part with some of their empty bottles... sometimes a PITA to clean but they'd prob be free or at least really cheap.

As people said before the one fermenter is kind of limiting. But if you had a week or two of slower drinking you might be able to catch up if you have enough sets of bottles.

Well if you're trying to save money then I'd suggest going to local restaurants/bars and see if they'd be willing to part with some of their empty bottles... sometimes a PITA to clean but they'd prob be free or at least really cheap.

As people said before the one fermenter is kind of limiting. But if you had a week or two of slower drinking you might be able to catch up if you have enough sets of bottles.

I just scored 6 dozen swing top bottles off Craig list for free.. XD

DP272.jpg

Nice snag on the swingtops!

About your fermenters, why dont you have your gf bring home a bunch of those buckets, then you can split each batch into 2 buckets. Heck, you could even bump up the volume a little bit and end up with 6-7 gallons total per batch, by adding some extract and/or hops if you want. It seems like you are content with a simple, easy to brew, easy to drink mid-ABV beer (nothing wrong with that I say!). You really would benefit from having additional fermenters, and if you have access to food grade buckets, I say get em and use em!

Take a food grade bucket from your gf and put the cover on loosely so the gasses can escape. That's what they do at the LHBS. I've tried it once myself before putting an airlock and it worked fine.

Nice snag on the swingtops!

About your fermenters, why dont you have your gf bring home a bunch of those buckets, then you can split each batch into 2 buckets. Heck, you could even bump up the volume a little bit and end up with 6-7 gallons total per batch, by adding some extract and/or hops if you want. It seems like you are content with a simple, easy to brew, easy to drink mid-ABV beer (nothing wrong with that I say!). You really would benefit from having additional fermenters, and if you have access to food grade buckets, I say get em and use em!

Yah I'm pretty lucky to score 6 doz for free man i was planing on buying that amount was going to cost me over 100$ .. so yah pretty happy.

Anyways I asked her to look out for food garde buckets, when she gets a few saved I will run by here work and steal them.. and thanks for the tip about the lid ;) sebs

Yeah thats an awesome find! Craigslist has alot of good stuff... I check that and the forums Classifieds for stuff nearby. Once there was a set of equipment prob. worth over $1000 that someone was selling for $300... Unfortunatly, I balked and waited then it was gone. I'll always remember the one that got away =P

Back