Simtra IPA (Sly PA) Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig_reed

Reaction score
This is a great IPA that I brewed a little over 6 weeks ago. It turned out PERFECT. It utilizes one of the trendiest hops right now Citra with one of my favorite hops, Simcoe.

8.5 lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract
.75 lbs Crystal 50L
.25 Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
.50 lbs Wheat Malt

1.5 oz Simcoe whole AA%12.9 (60 min)
.75 oz Citra pellet AA%11.10 (15 min)
.75 oz Citra pellet AA%11.10 (5 min)
.50 oz Simcoe whole AA%12.9 (dry hop - secondary)
.50 oz Citra pellet AA%11.10 (dry hop - secondary)

1.00 tep Gypsum (60 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (20 min)

WLP007 Dry English Ale

Final ABV in my batch was 6.9%

Great hoppy beer, with enough tartness from the grapefruit notes in the citrus to really bring it all together. One of the best beers I have ever made!

Let me know what you think!

I am at work right now so I don't have my notes with me but it was pretty high - 92 I believe? Somewhere around there.

Call me crazy, and I have no idea of the math, but I wonder how that ended up around 92 IBU.
I brewed an IPA a month or so ago, and with 1.5 Newport at around 15%, 2oz each of Citra, Mosaic and Falconer's Flight, each split 3 way and added at 10, 5 and flameout, then 2 oz of Cascade in dryhop, and my calculators came up to 107IBU.

What beer would you compare this to? I'm in the NW as well so I'd know the regionals....

Back