Stainless steel braid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan196

Reaction score
For all the people using stainless braids for their mash tuns. I have some tips.

For cutting it.

Measure it to length, then stretch the braid where you want it cut. If you want a 1 foot braid, stretch the braid out lengthwise at 12 inches by holding that spot with your fingers and pulling the remainder away. When the spot where you want it cut tightens so all the fibers are laying on each other wrap it with masking tape. Then cut through the tape and braid at the same time. This produces a very nice cut with a high speed cutting tool but also yields adequate results with angle cutters.

To deal with the pointy edge fibers...

To make a nice finished looking end for your hose clamp and to prevent sticking grains during cleaning, the outside cut ends of the braid can be folded inward upon themselves. This makes the pointy parts on the inside of the braid instead of outside. I also used this method to finish the non-valve side of my braid so i didn't need a plug and another hose clamp. essentially you just keep folding it up on itself until there is no hole at the end.

I can provide pictures if this is unclear.

Happy brewing.

BJ

Rather than using hose clamps to close the loose end and secure the other end to the barb, today I used little zip-ties. I've seen too many photos of rusted "stainless" hose clamps, and I know plastic will never rust. I was concerned that they wouldn't hold very well, but I was surprised. Sticks to the brass barb firmly, and the loose end is nicely closed.

Good idea, though, about rolling the frayed end of the hose inward to clean it up a little bit. Too bad I didn't read this thread a half hour ago..... :(

Homer,
Good job making your own mash tun. What are the zip ties made of? are they the typical nylon ones? Those might loosen with a high temp mash. Do you have pics of your set up?

Brian,
Just your basic small-size zip-ties. I'm not too concerned about them loosening up, I've used them for years in lots of different applications, and never had a problem with them. Very reliable little dudes.

I don't have any pics, but it's a 56-qt Rubbermaid (I think -- too lazy to walk down and look) rectangular cooler. Went to Fastenal and got a 3/8"x2.5" brass nipple (heehee), 3/8" ball valve, and a couple barb fittings for the end of the nipple and the ball valve. Plus some 5/8" washers for spacers and some O-rings to seal everything.

Got the braid from a hose purchased at WalMart. My Dremel died on me and I couldn't find my metal snips, but my band saw lopped the ends off in about half a second. Pushed the braid off by hand in about 5 seconds, then assembled and leak checked. Works beautifully.

Can't wait till next week. I'll break it in with my take on Three Floyds Dreadnaught IIPA, which was always too big for my 5 gallon Igloo cooler.

sounds like a sweet maiden voyage. For a double you will definitely need the extra capacity. good luck.

Some hose clamps are only stainless bands, some are all ss including the screw. They are stamped on the clamp.
Good idea on the folding in of the braid.

Latest posts

Back