Hot Break Causing Off-Flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokenfloken

Reaction score
Greetings all! I did a clone of Russian River Blind Pig and didn't get as much separation of the hot break as I would liked to have gotten. I've heard about the hot break "stressing" the yeast. Will the hot break cause off-flavors in my beer?

I was listening to an episode of "Brew Strong" with John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff on thebrewingnetwork.com. It was in the episode about fermenters.

Can someone post a pic of hot break? I get good active rolling boils but don't notice much stuff like you're all talking about.

Hot break is really just the foam you see in the kettle. It rises and foams up, then "breaks" the surface, it roils a bit, and then usually just falls back down into the boil.

Looks sort of like this in series, then the top of the boil is pretty clear after.

hot-break.jpg

3557259058_6d131955c0.jpg

image008.jpg

Hot break is that coagulated stuff you see shortly after the boil starts. It looks like, as John Palmer puts it; "egg drop soup" clumps.

The only time I ever get break that looks like that/this;

HotBreakFormation.jpg

Is with a large amount of pilsner in the grainbill.

I did one at the AHA big brew day last spring that was so "eggy" that I had a ton of brewers standing around looking at it.

The rest of the time I get a good amount of froth/foam that comes up, then falls back.

Back