First All Grain BIAB - Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
My first all grain i did S&A IPA ----> https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/s-ipa-118158/

per the original recipe:
5 gallon
OG=1.071
mash at 150 for 90 minutes

my calculations:
strike water = 13.65 lbs x 1.5 qts/lb = 5.12 gallons for mash

grain absorption = 5.12-(13.65 x .125 gallons/lb)= 3.41 gallons from mash.

i sparged with about 4 gallons of 175 degree water and mixed

strike water temp = (.2/1.5)(150-66) + 150 = 161.2 ~162

so i heated the water to 162 and poured in grains. i hit about 156 degrees, so i mashed at 156 for 90 minutes....i finished around 148.

i collected just over 7 gallons of wort. i could have drained the grain bag more but my arm got tired lol.

boiled down to just over 5 gallons, probably 5.25 gallons i estimate.

my starting gravity before boil was 1.052
my OG after boils was 1.066 (temp adjusted) im only .05 points off.

how do i calculate efficiency? im guessing i did good.

the mash: 13 lbs of grain :)
img00677616059.jpg

spent grains
img00697625325.jpg

lots of yummy hops
img00687620385.jpg

the boil
img00727637618.jpg

wort chiller
img00737610424.jpg

Nice work man, good pics. I did my first couple AG's using this method and felt it helped a lot in the transition. That is a cool boiling pot and propane setup you got there.

You've probably already found this, but here is the next step - Linky

Looks good Beantown. I am working towards my first AG brew and I think the BIAB method is where I will start. Where did you get your brew pot and burner setup

i like saran wrap lol guess its not necessary huh.

Probably a nice idea...i'm just way too lazy:mug: Oh, and four bowls to clean...the pain...did I mention I'm lazy...cheap ziplock bags, paper cups, anything not to dirty a dish:mug:

Interesting kettle w/ valve, I believe that design is to help reduce boilover, hows it work for ya?

i got the turkey fryer at lowes. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=135977-58892-BB12182G&lpage=none

its an 8.5 gallon pot. with 7 gallons in it i had to cut the heat at the hot break for a second. then if the heat is turned up to high it will splash over a bit but other than that this thing rocks. i didn't use the valve on it cause it doesn't work to well. i just man handle it and pour it in the better bottle. i may replace it with a better valve.

i got the turkey fryer at lowes. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=135977-58892-BB12182G&lpage=none

its an 8.5 gallon pot. with 7 gallons in it i had to cut the heat at the hot break for a second. then if the heat is turned up to high it will splash over a bit but other than that this thing rocks. i didn't use the valve on it cause it doesn't work to well. i just man handle it and pour it in the better bottle. i may replace it with a better valve.
Just checked lowes and they stock it local. So off I go to take a look at it

if you get it disable the temp sensor, its the probe thing that goes by the side of the pot. other people that have this said the burner will turn off, its a safety feature. just let it hang off the side away from the pot

Congratulations on your first all grain BIAB. :rockin:

Back