yeasts for high temps (mid-high 70's)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I don't wanna quit brewing just cause it's summer time. I'm hooked after 5 batches. I also don't wanna do the water-in-a-bucket-with-t-shirt-cooling thing to keep a carboy cool, unless I absolutely have to.

For the most part, the inside of my house stays in the 70's during the summer. Are there any yeast strains out there that work well in the mid-high 70's, so I can pick out some recipes that use those yeasts?

I saw this thread here that recommended saison (which I don't even know what that is yet): https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/warm-temperature-fermentation-yeast-101572/

Thanks!

What's the problem with a Swamp Cooler (bucket and t-shirt)?

At first I was against it but you would be extremly surprised on how well it works. The only problem I have had is to change about 2 gals of water every few days to keep the temp at 70F.

I have used the White labs 565 Belgian Saison yeast in the past with great success. Fermentation temps reached in the mid 80's, so mid 70's won't be a problem at all. Blown away how resilient that yeast is with the heat.

What's the problem with a Swamp Cooler (bucket and t-shirt)?

At first I was against it but you would be extremly surprised on how well it works. The only problem I have had is to change about 2 gals of water every few days to keep the temp at 70F.

Yup, that's exactly why... I'm looking to keep up with my current "brew and forget for 2 weeks" routine. Plus I'm not really setup for water changing with where I keep my carboy currently. Anyway, if I can't find a summer beer, I'll start changing my ways...

I have a Rubbermaid tub out in my brew shed. Even with the highs hitting into the 90's now one frozen 2L pop bottle a day is keeping my Hefe at 68F. After three or four days I'll just move them into my closet and forget about them for another two and a half weeks. After the fermentation dies down the temps are far less important.

Back