Stainless steel vs. Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axr

Reaction score
couple questions on alum vs. stainless:

I've brewed two batches using a 5 gal stainless steel kettle but want to increase my brewing volume and do full boils and be able to take my operation outdoors. I recently came across a turkey fryer set up (7.5 gal kettle and burner) but think it's made of aluminum.

Questions are:
  1. Does brewing in an aluminum kettle have an adverse affect on the wort (or any affect)?
    1. Can I drill and attach a ball valve and thermometer onto an alum kettle?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for rapid reply llazy llama. I've actually read the This vs. That analysis, but I never scrolled down past the omitted threads.

Is there a DIY thread on the site that explains how to convert a kettle and attach ball valve and thermometer? I'd like to save some cash and do it myself if possible (am pretty handy).

Bayou 30qt Aluminum Turkey Fryer Pot
w/ all the fixxin's

8392d1226088391-pyrex-sight-glass-kits-sightglass.jpg

Bayou 30qt Aluminum Turkey Fryer Pot
w/ all the fixxin's

8392d1226088391-pyrex-sight-glass-kits-sightglass.jpg

Sweet! nice rig AnOldUR. Any advice on how to build it with ball valve and thermometer? (I don't think I need a sight glass at this time). I've been searching through the DIY threads and most of them are dealing with projects with much greater sophistication. I'm still a noo-b

thanks

Sweet! nice rig AnOldUR. Any advice on how to build it with ball valve and thermometer? (I don't think I need a sight glass at this time). I've been searching through the DIY threads and most of them are dealing with projects with much greater sophistication. I'm still a noo-b
thanks
Got the pot at a local yard sale, all the valve hardware came from Bargain Fittings, the thermometer came from some guy on eBay and the sight glass from Bobby_M. The aluminum on the turkey fryers is pretty thin, so it's easy to drill. I used a 3/4" spade drill made for wood and opened it up just enough for a snug fit using a Dremel with a barrel sander. It's a pretty easy project. Good-luck!

Back