Overflow 2nd day fermentation... huge problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunster87

Reaction score
Hey everyone what's happenin? I started a blonde ale the other day and when i woke up this morning to check on my baby, the stopper and airlock in my carboy were on the floor and there was a huge mess... What am i doing wrong?????!!!

Sounds like you had an pretty active fermentation. Do a search for "blowoff tube" and you'll find tons of info. Basically it's a hose that replaces the airlock and feeds to a contained of sanitizer. Keeps you from having those messes.

Set up a blow-off tube. Place one end on air lock or in lid hole, and the other end in sanitized water.

This hapened because you had rigiorous fermentation. Were you using a 5 gal or 6.5 gal?

If I had a pic I would post it, Im sure someone will post one in a few mintues.

Hey llazy, i thought i did my homework but apparently you had to have an ego and point out that i didn't for humility's sake. This was an honest mistake, yes i know what a blow off tube is and i will gladly invest in one. Thank you for the advice. oh and histo im using a 5gallon

Hey llazy, i thought i did my homework but apparently you had to have an ego and point out that i didn't for humility's sake. This was an honest mistake, yes i know what a blow off tube is and i will gladly invest in one. Thank you for the advice. oh and histo im using a 5gallon

It's not an ego thing by any stretch of the imagination. The majority of my time on HBT is spent answering questions from newer brewers, which I enjoy doing. The reason I said you didn't do your homework is because 10 seconds of searching (or a day or two of lurking) would have answered that question and not required an additional thread.

Honestly, I just figured you'd be able to handle a bit of good natured ribbing. There's a good deal of that around here. But hey, if you're upset about it then I apologize.

As for your 5 gallon fermenter, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone around here that would recommend a 5 gallon fermenter for use as a primary (at least not for beer) as 5 gallons of rapidly expanding liquid stored in a 5 gallon vessel is a recipe for.... well, you've already seen it first hand. Personally, I'd recommend a few 6-6.5 gallon buckets, carboys, or Better Bottles for use as your primary fermenter. I still say you should always use a blowoff for the first few days of active fermentation, but a larger vessel will cut down on the amount of beer you lose in the event of explosive fermentation.

o no i can definately handle it lol and yes i do greatly appreciate the advice but i do have one more question. i think the stopper was out of it for a few hours before i discovered it. is this batch good and ruined?

Probably not. It's a lot harder to ruin a batch of beer than most people believe. Either way, you'll know for sure in a few weeks if your beer tastes like someone died, was resurrected, died a second time, was resurrected a second time, evacuted their bowels into your carboy, then died a third and final time and was liquified into your beer.

Probably not. It's a lot harder to ruin a batch of beer than most people believe. Either way, you'll know for sure in a few weeks if your beer tastes like someone died, was resurrected, died a second time, was resurrected a second time, evacuted their bowels into your carboy, then died a third and final time and was liquified into your beer.

I have some in a keg now if you care to taste.

Iv'e been brewing for some years now, I stopped brewing beer and recently got back into it. I was making meads for a while. I've had this happen with ciders, meads but never, beer until last night. I put 5gal Irish Red in a 6 gallon carboy(primary) and this morning,,,, a mess . I immediatly found the stuff to rig a blow-off tube, and started cleaning b4 the wife found out. So this happens alot to some of us?:tank:

I've only got a few brews under my belt. Can someone with more experience confirm that it would also be a good idea to reduce the temps a bit to calm the fermentation down?

I've only got a few brews under my belt. Can someone with more experience confirm that it would also be a good idea to reduce the temps a bit to calm the fermentation down?

If you're in the appropriate range for the yeast strain you're using, fermenting at the lower range of that is fine. Lowering the temperature just to slow the fermentation might backfire for you- you may stop the fermentation completely. If it's in the optimum range for the yeast, then leave it alone. Just put on a blow off tube if you need it, an airlock if you don't.

There's nothing quite like coming home to the smell of a brewery and spending the next 30 minutes cleaning hops and krausen off your ceiling...

Blow-off tube, 1 inch at least FTW!!!

There's nothing quite like coming home to the smell of a brewery and spending the next 30 minutes cleaning hops and krausen off your ceiling...

Blow-off tube, 1 inch at least FTW!!!

Have to totally agree. A vigorous, healthy fermentation is a great sign for your beer, so don't freak out about it, enjoy the magic of yeasties getting it on.

I've been mostly into mead, too, and a friend got me thinking about beer.

The one thing I did do right was select a place to ferment my beers that was easy to clean up.

Back