Good wine from Foch Grape's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_in_wv

Reaction score
Last year I helped a friend start his wine making career.

Just a little background. I had bought about 50 lb of Foch Grapes for myself and 2 other friends. I stopped in to see this friend, who had lost his wife earlier in the year, and he seemed to need some distraction, so when he seemed interested in what I was doing, I gave him a 5 gallon bucket of these grapes. He had never made wine before and wanted to try it.

We crushed the grapes, we added enough sugar to bring the SG up to 1.110, and added campden tablets. Then the next day we added the yeast and let it ferment on the skins for 3 days.

We then racked it over into a 5 gal carboy.

We then took the skins and added 2 gallon of water and enough sugar to bring the sg up to the 1.110 again. Since there was still active yeast in the must it took off again. My intention was to make a second wine from this batch.

About 4 days later I stopped by to give him a few gallon jars and airlock for the second batch. He had already racked the seconds over into the firsts. So I got a 5 gallon waterbottle for him to put everything in. We then topped it off with concord grape juice.

About every month we would rack it over and top off again with Concord Juice. After stablizing it, he bottled it in June. Of the 4 batches that we all made with Foch Grapes this one is the best.

Years ago I made wine from Foch grapes and back then I did not know how to back sweeten....it came out rather dry I did do a false wine as you have done which also came out dry but good. Never topped off with Concord Juice so do not know what that will taste like....

Foch grapes are a big deal in the pacific northwest, I'll have to get my hands on some, gettin to be about that time of year

Foch grapes are a big deal in the pacific northwest, I'll have to get my hands on some, gettin to be about that time of year

From what I have read for my wine making with Foch, they do not need to set on the skins but 3 or 4 days. Otherwise you get a metalic taste to them.

Back