Lets all drop the SWMBO.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yooper said:
What I love about you is that you always make me sound so charming. :rockin:

I think having a sense of humor is important. SWMBO is not an offensive term at all, as we all know it's tongue in check.

It goes along with the old phrase: "Happy wife, happy life". I don't think anybody in the world believes that the only key to happiness is to make his wife happy. But.........it never hurts to try!

The key to happiness is not to make your wife happy. It is to make yourself happy. However if SWMBO asks me to help her with something or even work on the honey do list and I just sit around enjoying home brew she has the tendency to get a little upset and find a way to make my life miserable. So with that in mind I believe that "SWMBO" is not an offensive term but a realization that most men CHOOSE to use because they know that in order to be able to partake in their hobby they must obey.

If we end SWMBO, what should I tell Bob to call me from now on? :drunk:

I have some suggestions but we should probably take it to a private chat, Im a screamer. :ban:

It's like 10,000 spoons, when all you need is a knife! :D

That is so F'ing stupid, everyone knows when you get to the bottom of the mayo or peanut butter you use the spoon you scooped it out with as a knife. However, having all knives when you need a spoon that is lyrics I could work with. :drunk:

That's the thing. It's not funny at all. It's not wry. It's dork humor.

There's nothing subtle or difficult to get about it. The Office (UK) and Extras are two of my favorite shows of all time. This isn't subtle at all, it's lame.

Keep using it, if you want, but it isn't funny.

If you think we use it to be funny, you're missing the point. It's a convention of speech in the homebrewing world, among others. It's harmless. Like using a handle like "Rex Banner." :D

wow. 19 years of humorless bliss....

Just kidding - really.
Obviously, different folks have different senses of humor. Wry is not one of yours, but is fairly common, which is why so many of us are okay with SWMBO.
Wry understands that SWMBO is tongue in cheek, not serious, maybe even funnier when stated seriously...

Wry is sarcasm that is not mean-spirited at all, but appreciated in good company. the dictionary calls us distorted, perverse :D in that the meanings we take are distorted from the original intent of the word. SWMBO is a perfect example. We don't take it as a directive, only as a reference to our significant other.

I'm guessing British humor leaves you scratching your head - but to each his own.

oh man, i sure didn't mean to come off prudish. I'm the most immature 41 year old you would EVER meet. But somehow, by the grace of JAH, i manage to elude the authorities and masquerade as a somewhat professional. And like i said, it's really not the disrespect thing to me, i just kinda cringe when i hear it. I think it sounds gayyyyy (in that 7th grade ewww kinda way). I can assure you my sense of humour is firmly set in the gutter. With the risk of appearing spammy i direct you to my favourite web site, of which i am a sometime contributor: i won't spell out the address but it's something along the lines of "moo-cho suck-o DOT Comme" (think spanish if you're having trouble). it's def NSFW, and may be well out of the realm of acceptability with some of you fine folks.

But yes, it's all in fun, especially here in this particular sub-forum.

And Bird, I appreciate your: "Just kidding - really. " I'm certainly not posting on this thread to troll

For the record, I never used the term SWMBO referring to my girl...I am not the obedient sort anyway. Mine is rather permissive of my hobbies-she never denies me anything...unless we're out of money...

When I think of a SWMBO-I picture an uptight woman in a pink robe with curlers in her hair nagging some poor bastard to take the garbage out. So when a guy uses the term I kinda feel sorry for him...

You people need to find some better **** to ***** about....seriously.

I agree, stop whining how your wife controls your life on a beer brewing forum.

Why is the use despicable here? I'm simply curious, not trying to start a fight or anything.

Because it always seems to be used in the context of an emasculated homebrewer bemoaning the fact that his wife is running the household. Not very becoming.

_

I agree, stop whining how your wife controls your life on a beer brewing forum.

Because it always seems to be used in the context of an emasculated homebrewer bemoaning the fact that his wife is running the household. Not very becoming.

_
I think you're missing the point of using the term SWMBO, which has always seemed to be tongue in cheek from my POV.

Whatever. I like it, it's cheeky/cheesy and she gets a kick out of it.

How is referring to someone "whom you MUST obey" derogatory? Other than saying that she is bossy, it is saying that you want to keep her happy.

Is it such a big deal???? It has literary beginnings and still strikes me as a little clever.

SWINENO (she who I never ever need obey) is the direction that my SWMBO went, but it doesn't have the same ring to it.

When i see swmbo in an otherwise thoughtful post i feel It robs the post of its intelligence.

I feel the same way about people who don't capitalize their first person "I". I'm OK with "SWMBO", however, since that's the way things work for many a married man.

It's so funny how frail some male egos are, or how just plain insecure they are, that they have issues with such a silly little tongue in cheek acronym. You'd think they were afraid that they married;

6335199403_d988020d40_b.jpg

or something....Are they so afraid of being castrated physically of mentally, that making a joke about having to "obey" a women makes them so uncomfortable that they have to bump up a year old thread by another insecure male?

People are a funny lot sometimes.

When i see swmbo in an otherwise thoughtful post i feel It robs the post of its intelligence.

Do you feel the same way about her at parties?

DAMN!!!!!! I'll bet he beats her too.

When I see SWMBO in a post, (or any other sexual position), I am over-filled with adoration and sperm.

Back