Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, used your boiling water technique just now to flush out my Therminator. Seemed to work like a charm! I think I'm gonna like this thing.

Maybe I'll get one of those threads like "How many people have kegged using ChefChris' boiling water technique". Maybe I'll get an article in BYO.

Yeah Chris and then you gotta start being a pretentious a$$ and correcting people in other posts and discussing about how over rated Jamil is.

Did another batch of Vienna SmaSh today over at a neighbor's. He has this old antique carboy that has a wide mouth opening that a mason jar lid fits on perfectly. And it has a wooden crate to sit in. But his conex was a little warm so we have it in a muck bucket with water bath, to keep it cool.

Also my first batch with the Corona mill. After cranking one hopper full, we put a bolt in and used an electric drill to power it. Might have went a little fine on the mill, as the sparge went real slow, even though I did add some rice hulls, thinking that it might be a find grind.

I got way too much beer going right now. I had to come back here to look at my signature to see what was next in line to be kegged or dry hopped. Totally forgot that I have a Stone IPA in primary. Been in there 3 weeks, threw the dry hops in tonight. Bell's Two Hearted is cold crashing and I kegged my Glacier Pale Ale last night.

We're brewing tomorrow at the shop if anyone's bored. I'll have the aforementioned pale ale on tap.

Woot, I am excited - I just ordered the rest of my kegging equipment.

What I will be doing until I get a dedicated fridge is to simply use my kegs to store the beer warm with a minimum level of carbonation (maybe even using priming sugar). I'll then dispense 2 liters at a time into CO2-purged soda bottles and use a carbonator cap to get full carbonation - these will easily fit my fridge and will make it easy to bring my beer to the shoppe, too ;)

Paid $174 shipped for the 10-lb CO2 cylinder, dual gauge regulator, disconnects, tubing and carbonator cap.

Now, where is the cheapest place to get CO2 filled in Gainesville again?

I just got an extra 5 lb tank, plus fill at Airgas on Waldo Road. I think it was $17.50 for the fill. The other place is Alachua Fire Extinquisher on Williston road. I don't know their prices. I think chefchris said Airgas was cheaper, but don't quote me on that.

I just got an extra 5 lb tank, plus fill at Airgas on Waldo Road. I think it was $17.50 for the fill. The other place is Alachua Fire Extinquisher on Williston road. I don't know their prices. I think chefchris said Airgas was cheaper, but don't quote me on that.

I believe Airgas is cheaper. Great group of guys that work there. A friend of mine at work smashed my regulator and they did everything they could to fix it for free. Didn't even ask them to fix it, they just started working on it.

It probably helped that Sarah took it up there and not me. ;)

Speaking of regulators... Think they'd have a nipple for connecting two premium micromatic regs together so I can have a dual primary? It'd have to be a weird nipple, because it seems I'm going to have to use the tank screw-on to connect one to the other... Hi pressure gauge came off easily, but this damn stem for the tank connection is ridiculously tight. Measured it seems it'd have to be a 1/2" to 3/4".

Scratch that, went to Lowe's and made my own. Damn thing's not pretty, but it works. Gotta run the rest of my tubing this week.

Thanks for the advice on the CO2. Do they both fill, or do they exchange? I'd like to keep my shiny new canister when it gets here ;)

do they exchange close to hydro date? cus Im thinking of usingmy 20 until it's close to hydro then exchanging

ya, i bought my tank off of craigslist. it was a couple years out of hydro. I actually want to say it was 4 years out of date. They exchanged it no problem , no fee.

So who is going to the beer festival on Saturday? My wife scored me free tix on the radio!

That is almost across the street from David's BBQ, just west of 43rd.

Got the 1st batch of Vienna SmaSh in the kegerator a week or so ago. Tried a little sip tonight. Man am I glad I left the 2 1/2 oz out at the 20 minute mark. Wow, is that hoppy ale. Still needs a few more weeks, maybe it will mellow out.

i have forgot how much work sucks.

i went to the beer fest one year. it wasnt that great. it was a lot of people in a very small space. i think all they do is go to publix and buy alot of cases of beer. once the beer is gone its over. i might go again with a free ticket but if i had to buy it i would rather buy beer at the store.

Yeah the beer fest is almost walking distance from my place (and Chris's too). Its behind the Blockbuster / Hungry Howey's on 39th Ave. I went about 3 years ago and got hammered. The beer is decent, there were a lot of the BMC specialty beers I guess because they were new at the time. But Sweetwater was there, along with some decent others. Orange Blossom Pilsner was there too. Its not the same as a trip to Stubbies or The Alcove, but its cool if you are bored that weekend, and they usually have free food there.

Got the 1st batch of Vienna SmaSh in the kegerator a week or so ago. Tried a little sip tonight. Man am I glad I left the 2 1/2 oz out at the 20 minute mark. Wow, is that hoppy ale. Still needs a few more weeks, maybe it will mellow out.

Yeah, give it a couple weeks. I had a bunch of guys over from the board one night and it was pretty good. Didn't touch it for a week. Then it got awesome.

Cigar City and Southern Tier are there this year.

That's impressive. Maybe we'll start getting Southern Tier up here.

I know Gator Bev has it as I talked to my Burkhardt rep about it, Tipple's out on Tower may also have it. Other than that I'm not sure.

Anyone ever try brewing a Happoshu? Thinking about trying one as I really dig it as a summer "lawnmower" drink.

12.0 oz 6-Row Brewers Malt
4.0 oz Corn Flaked (Maize)
4.0 oz Rice Flaked
8.0 oz Corn Sugar
2.0 oz Light Brown Sugar
0.25 oz Cascade (7%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 ea Danstar 3767 Nottingham

For 1 gallon of it.

Okay don't stone me guys but I am wondering if there is a liquor store up there that sells Guinness by the keg. I'd like to keep it on tap whenever I do not have a beer on my stout tap. I noticed in the last few post someone mentioned gator bev so I tried to see if they had a website. Found an info link and a twitter page but nothing that indicated the kind of beers stocked. Being a college town I am optimistic but I wouldn't be surprised if all they keep around is BMC and maybe a few popular micro's. Can always go to Orlando but would prefer to shop Gainesville and support the LHBS while in town.

Any place that sells kegs should be able to get you Guiness. I think Albertson's has it in stock usually, I see it in their cooler all the time.

Edit: BTW, if you want to support local businesses you could always get a keg of Swamp Head beer, about the same price as a keg of Guinness and you'll know it's fresh and local.

Edit: BTW, if you want to support local businesses you could always get a keg of Swamp Head beer, about the same price as a keg of Guinness and you'll know it's fresh and local.

It shall be done, I will have to work it into the schedule though, my regular taps are usually occupied with homebrew. Stout tap doesn't get too much competition so it will have time for Guinness.

It shall be done, I will have to work it into the schedule though, my regular taps are usually occupied with homebrew. Stout tap doesn't get too much competition so it will have time for Guinness.
They make a tasty oatmeal coffee stout using Sweetwater coffee (also from Gainesville.)

Brewing today:

Style: Brown Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 5.03 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 35.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes