Here's to sticking to the man... the hop growers I mean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
We finally got some nice sunny weather around here. The barrels have Chinook and Fuggle that Ryan_PA so nicely gave me. They're on year two this year transplanted out of the orange pots. Hopefully they'll give me a little crop. I put some Cascade rhizomes in the orange pots.
hops08.jpg

I'll be running a line from the pots all the way up to the roof line.
hops082.jpg

More Cascade rhizomes in here... which are going into larger pots when I get them.
cascade08.jpg

Hmm, glad I posted the pic then. So you think I ought to move one over to the corner of the house on the other side of that basement window? This is probably a symptom of never seeing a fully grown hop plant in real life before.

Bobby_M said:
Hmm, glad I posted the pic then. So you think I ought to move one over to the corner of the house on the other side of that basement window? This is probably a symptom of never seeing a fully grown hop plant in real life before.

This year it won't be such a problem, but next year, watch out! ;)

I guess I have a followup question regarding this second-year take off that I hear a lot about. Is this isolated to planting rhizomes or does it also apply to whole plants being transplanted. The ones in the half-barrels were relatively viable plants last year.

The size of the plant is very dependent on the amount of energy stored in the root, larger roots, more energy.

Tiffiny is about 5'6"

2113-img_0985.jpg

Bobby_M said:
I guess I have a followup question regarding this second-year take off that I hear a lot about. Is this isolated to planting rhizomes or does it also apply to whole plants being transplanted. The ones in the half-barrels were relatively viable plants last year.

FWIW, I had some well established (2 1/2 years) in-ground plants, and when I moved into a new house, I transplanted them. I got very little growth and no yield the first year at the new house. YMMV.

Bottom line, if these are transplanted, I wouldn't expect much this year. You'll get some good bines, but very little as far as cones, even if they were established plants before transplanting.

david_42 said:
The size of the plant is very dependent on the amount of energy stored in the root, larger roots, more energy.

Tiffiny is about 5'6"

2113-img_0985.jpg

That's awesome. I should rip out the hedges on our property line and plant hops. Ah, SWMBO would never go for it.

Latest posts

Back