Sensitive to caffeine.. advice on avoiding caffeinated brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
Just a very basic general kind of question regarding caffeine and beer. I am extremely sensitive to caffeine and try to avoid it at most costs. How can I safely avoid in-taking it through beer in general? Do stouts and darker ales that descriptions read "roasted coffee taste", "light roasted coffee flavor" or "roasted" mean that the beer could contain caffeine? I am aware that caffeine is presented through guarana and coffee beans but dont know the extent of it making its way into an ale. I absolutely love stouts, porters and such but have always been weary of drinking more than one at a sitting for the simple fact of fear of consuming caffeine. If I buy beer kits from NB or AustinHomebrew that contain roasted malts of any kind could I potentially be presenting caffeine to a brew? Thanks!

The coffee flavor in stouts & darker beers comes from roasted barley malts, which contain no caffeine. Unless the beer you are drinking has been infused with actual coffee or coffee beans, you're fine.

Roasted and coffee go together like baked and chicken. One is a process, the other is a product that goes thru the process.

Unless the beer you are drinking has been infused with actual coffee or coffee beans, you're fine.

The amounts of coffee that ARE infused into beer are negligible at best. You will be extremely intoxicated before you get a caffeine effect from these beers.

My wife also has extreme caffeine sensitivity and drinks EVERY stout/breakfast stout/coffee stout she can get past her lips. When I asked her if she was having issues with the coffee she said," No it was about the same as drinking decaf coffee."

I think the MOST you'd use in a coffee-infused beer is maybe 2-3 ounces, about enough for a pot of coffee, but diluted into 5 gallons. If you're really, truly that sensitive to it, you could brew a coffee beer with (highest quality possible) decaf.

I just brewed a saison with 1 ounce of coffee, so that's even less of an issue.

That is great news to my ears. I can now enjoy more of my favorites without worrying about the caffeine garbage. Thank you guys for the in depth responses! Very informative

I think the MOST you'd use in a coffee-infused beer is maybe 2-3 ounces, about enough for a pot of coffee, but diluted into 5 gallons. If you're really, truly that sensitive to it, you could brew a coffee beer with (highest quality possible) decaf.

I just brewed a saison with 1 ounce of coffee, so that's even less of an issue.

Did I sample this at JRHB's Big Brew day?

Gerard

Back