I Brew Beer [beer pr0n, etc., etc.]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I think I have a problem. I can't stop.

I brewed my first decoction on Saturday. Then I get the bright idea to brew my basil IPA last night, because the wifey was studying for a licensing exam, and the cinnamon-basil bush doesn't have much time before it dies. Then, I thought, if I'm brewing one, why not make it two? I needed a stout/porter, so I set up for a Fuller's London Porter clone. And hey, why not commit to making cream of tomato soup from scratch while I'm at it? I'm insane.

So I made the soup (not easy, but it came out great) for the wife, because she's not feeling very good...and crushed my grains/set up the equipment while the tomatoes roasted, etc. I didn't get mashed in until after dinner, about 7:30:

4914-P1010069.JPG
4914-P1010070.JPG

The Basil IPA was a stepped mash, direct-heated. The Porter was a single infusion in the cooler. Guess which one had horrible efficiency. Boils went okay...though I had to split each batch up in order to get better evap, which made for a long evening...

4914-P1010074.JPG
4914-P1010073.JPG

I finally got to bed at 2. Damnit.

The IPA had great efficiency. Ended up with 1.074 OG. The porter had horrible efficiency, 1.040 OG!!! What the hell? I never have had luck with single infusions, though. So, after everything was cooled and pitched, I just tossed some dextrose and LME into a little pot on the stove with some water and boiled it down...then cooled it and added it to the Porter wort. Ended up with 1.051 OG at the end of the day, which is still short of the 1.055 OG I was shooting for, but what're you gonna do? I guess my comment yesterday about BYO Clone recipes assuming really low efficiency has come back to bite me in the ass. So be it. It'll still be good beer.

Here's my brewhouse now. 7 on the counter, 1 in the lagerator. Like I said, I think I have a problem...:D

4914-P1010075.JPG
4914-amberlagerferm.JPG

Yes, you have a problem. Apparently it's contageous and you can catch it over the internet by visiting certain discussion forums. :D

You're right, you do have a problem -- only 8 carboys? Come on!

Just kidding .... great job. You can never have too much beer on hand, I say.

jeff said:
Basil IPA sounds interesting. Any chance you'll share the recipe?

Here you go. The basil additions are not really an exact science. I add leaves until the boil-off smells like basil.

Buford said:
And here I thought my schedule of brewing three batches a month was bad! :drunk:

Yeah, well...what're you gonna do. This makes 95 gallons YTD (not counting apfelwein). :tank:

iamjonsharp said:
looks like a pretty exciting problem.

from C-ville? I live over on Fontaine Ave.

-Jon

Hey, how bout that. The only other c-villian I've seen on HBT. :rockin:

I'm over on Wilder (near that first stoplight on Park St. after you cross the bypass going north). Welcome to the forums, Jon...:mug:

Jim Lark, a prof at UVA, is also a homebrewer. I don't know how often he brews, though. I do know he only does extract since it takes less time.

Yes, you have a problem. We all do.

I brewed last Monday, then I brewed Sunday, then I brewed last night, and I'll probably brew again this weekend.

Too much beer is a pretty good problem to have though. :rockin:

Your beer pr0n excites me.

Truthfully, the idea of a Basil beer meakes me cringe a bit... Then again, so do many brilliant ideas...

(As a side note... Has anyone noticed the geographic location of the posters in this thread this far...)

I wish that i had that problem , mine is I can't find the time to brew as much as i want to. But cheers to you all that do. Maybe when SWMBO finishes that doctorate I can retire and just brew.

Cheers

Kevin Dean said:
(As a side note... Has anyone noticed the geographic location of the posters in this thread this far...)

you are in Fredneck, MD; I'm in MD, Evan! is in Va.......'locals'

Professor Frink said:
I'm at 115 gallons YTD. Is that a problem?

You're right, it's not.:rockin:

No, I'm at 125 gal. ytd with 15 more coming very soon. As long as you're not drinking it all by yourself, then it's not a problem. :tank:

brewtus, do you do 10-gal batches? That's a lot of beer...though, my prime brewing time is fall and winter, when my basement is cooler and more prime for ale fermentation. In the summer, I take it easy, to a certain extent. Plus, I have such a ridiculous backstock, I sometimes find it hard to justify more and more. But then I think, I need a light lager. I need a porter. I need a 16% abv stout.:p

Evan! said:
brewtus, do you do 10-gal batches? That's a lot of beer...though, my prime brewing time is fall and winter, when my basement is cooler and more prime for ale fermentation. In the summer, I take it easy, to a certain extent. Plus, I have such a ridiculous backstock, I sometimes find it hard to justify more and more. But then I think, I need a light lager. I need a porter. I need a 16% abv stout.:p

*sigh*

Yeah I think it's time for me to get back in the action! Haven't brewed since the Hefe for the 4th! (I know I know). I am down to 9 cases iirc, and 2 are Oktoberfest and are spoken for! :D

zoebisch01 said:
*sigh*

Yeah I think it's time for me to get back in the action! Haven't brewed since the Hefe for the 4th! (I know I know). I am down to 9 cases iirc, and 2 are Oktoberfest and are spoken for! :D

Oh no, only 9 cases left! AHHHHH! :p I know, it gets to you after awhile...seeing all these HBT'ers talking about brewing, and you're not.

My SWMBO has officially given up. She has been assimilated. She's grown fully accustomed to 20+ cases of brew, 2 primaries and multiple secondaries at all times. Hell, she even wants me to teach her how to do an AG brew! :tank:

Back