Best Fertilizer to Use When Flowering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey, just a quick question for all you seasoned growers out there... What is the best fertilizer to use when I start to see the formation of cones? I've performed a soil test and everything is in the correct range. I just want to maximize my 1st year yeild.

I read a paper from Oregon State on hop fertilizer research and application. I've also had discussions regarding phosphorus additions during "flowering" and it seems from what I understand, Nitrogen needs of the plant are ginormous, phosphorus not so much. A dose of bone meal to the soil at the first signs of burs seems to be adequate. Potassium given in moderate levels throughout the season from a balanced schedule will suffice.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/fg/fg79-e.pdf

IMHO, Hops grow like weeds. Most people use prepared soil and a basic feeding schedule for fertilizer, as long as they don't get over watered, or contract a virus, the plant will acclimate and thrive.

Thanks, I agree... I have 9 different 1st year varities growing right now. My cascades are over 14' tall and I have been using liquid organic nitrogen fertilizer along with a organic 3-4-3 blend periodically. 5 out of the 9 already are in cone production. I was just curious if I'm missing out on a bigger crop from not adding additional fertilizer.

I have been using a generic Miracle Grow that i got from a local ag supply. I think it was a 40 or 50 lb. bag for just a little more than bying a small box of Miracle Grow. Looked at the ingreadinets and they were the same with a few small differances. These are 1st year planted this spring. I sprinkel some on about every other week. These are 17' to the wire on top
2012-07-07_170435hops.jpg

I too stressed over the fertilizer issue of what, when and how much to use. It is difficult to say since all plants differ and the variables that effect there growth are vast. I also use an organic liquid fertilizer from "Earth Juice" that does a great job for my needs. Mostly nitrogen focused feeding with micro-nutrient support has brought great success with little to no issues. Living in FLA I figured these plants will need all the help I can give to survive the heat. So far... I am very pleased with the results.

image-2286823190.jpg

thats a good looking hop cone! My cones are getting there... they still have little hair like fibers and a few leaves on top. Hopefully this is normal??

Usually plants like N when they're growing and P,K when they're flowering.

So some multiple of 3-2-1 when they're growing and maybe 1-2-2 when they're flowering.

Back