Me first smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodgertown

Reaction score
MY buddy gave me his old smoker over the weekend, just an electric brinkman, big red thing. Can't wait to use it. Thawed out a 2lb pork loin yesterday and I'm gonna throw it on around noonish.

Any tips or advice before I spark this thing up? Does it matter that's it 30 degrees outside? That shouldn't affect I right?

Pretty excited.........

I don't know the actual smoker. Is it relatively thin walled? That may be the only thing that will be affected by the 30 deg (how long it takes to get to temp). I'm assuming, since it's electric, that you'll be able to get to temp.

Other than that, don't open the door. If you have a thermo with a wire attachment, run that through the door so you don't have to open it (every time you open the door, you'll loose heat and have to recover = more time).

I have that same smoker. Works pretty well, but you have to keep adding wood chips and make sure they are close enough to the electric element to combust / produce smoke. Haven't ever gotten a "smoke ring", even when a few pieces of charcoal were added.

You can also create wood chip "bundles" by placing them in a piece of aluminum foil with an opening at the top.

You may want to consider adding reflectix insulation (clothes pins holding it) and electronic temperature control. I bought the reflectix cut to order @ Ace Hardware. Here is a picture of mine in action.

SDC10762.jpg

Back