Keggin A Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
I just made my second batch of mead and while it's still only a couple of weeks into the secondary fermentation I figured I'd go ahead and ask now. I want to use one of my kegs for final fermentation and CO2 to carbonate since I'm gonna make this a sparkling mead. How should I go about this?

My plan at the moment is to keg it, put it at 30lbs for 3 days, bleed off CO, add 5lb CO2, and put it away and forget about it for a year. Any problems with this? Or better methods?

Thanks.

I find it is better to let it ferment and clear and age bulk in a carboy allowing you to get the most lees out.. then keg and carbonate pretty much right before you would drink it... that is how I decide when to bottle.. when it is ready to drink. I don't see an problem with your way.. tho the first few glasses might not be nice and clear.. guess it depends which you can spare for a year or so a keg or a carboy.. I just got into kegging and have way more carboys then kegs so I would do it the other way
Either way you can now enjoy a carbonated sweet mead that is impossible without kegging... if you like sweet meads you will love them carbonated

SpamDog

Back