Okay to use cheese cloth for steeping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastdoc

Reaction score
The one bag I have is not large enough to steep the 1.5lbs of crystal I'm using. I have some clean, unused automotive cheese cloth that's generally used for waxing a car. I tied one end closed and inverted it to make a little bag.

Think that would be acceptable or is the cheese cloth a poor substitute?

No you're fine, it's second inline to an actual steeping bag... Other methods include

Panty Hose
Socks
(insert fabric that will let water in and out without losing grain)

The local dollar store stocks plenty of cheesecloth. Next time I go shopping there, I'm stocking up. It's cheaper than grain bags I think.

Panty hose can stand up to 180F? I burnt a small hole in my actual steeping bag, luckily it was a trace amount and didnt' effect the flavor of my stout (that I know of). I feel like I should put a stand or something under the seeping bag, so it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot.

With the boiling bags you can tie it off so it doesn't touch the bottom. I'm not to sure about using a panty hose for a boiling bag. I think I would opt for cheese cloth before that.

I have been known to use those nylon stockings your SWMBO will buy from Walgreens . . . not the ones in the egg but the cheep knee high ones that come in a box of 100. I wouldnt stuff them with a huge amount stuff but fine for hops, wood chips and a small amount of steeping grain.

if they look like they might be too full then they are

seefresh said:
Panty hose can stand up to 180F? I burnt a small hole in my actual steeping bag, luckily it was a trace amount and didnt' effect the flavor of my stout (that I know of). I feel like I should put a stand or something under the seeping bag, so it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot.
Or maybe suspend it with cotton string (not waxed) and a dowel over the pot, that will keep it off the bottom if that's a problem. The cheese cloth idea is good though. Maybe try a few yards of that from a fabric shop. If nothing else you'll get a good stare from the ladies buying sewing stuff. (the guy at the framing counter might eyeball ya too.) Brew on.

Back