Metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rleeq

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be making my first mead. I've decided to make it a metheglin because the 3 lbs of honey is just store bought. I've already made the spice tea and it is cooling in the fridge now. Jasmin and Black teas, Cinnamon, Star Annis, All Spice, Ginger and a large Ginger Finger. Lalvin 1118 Yeast. I am hoping for a dryer rather that sweeter mead so I am using 2 gallons of water to the 3 pounds of honey.
We will see what we will see.

R'

3 pounds of honey in 2 gallons of must will give you a very light (or thin) mead at around 7% ABV. If you are wanting a lighter mead (sometimes referred to as a hydromel) then this will do it. The spice mix sounds interesting.

Thanks for the info. Just a thought...What will happen if I add another 3 lbs of honey at a later date? Say 2 weeks, also what about adding more yeast at the same time??

It you add more honey, the yeast will ferment it and make more alcohol up to around a total of 7.5-8 pounds of honey. You will not need to add more yeast.

Back