Kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
OK, I kegged 5 gallons of West Coast IPA back in December and when I kegged it I added some table sugar to get the carbonation going since I didn't have a CO2 rig at the time. I am finally getting a CO2 tank this week and I want to have the beer ready for Super Bowl Sunday.

Since I actually carbed the beer by priming with sugar, how should I go about setting the CO2 pressure for my beer? If I only get it hooked up a couple days in advance, will that still be OK? It seems like the CO2 tank should just be needed for dispensing the beer but I'm new to this keg thing and I've created a bit of an abnormal condition by priming the keg with sugar so I'm turning to the experts on the forum for advice.

Thanks!

Chill the beer for a day. Then make sure you release the pressure in the keg before you hook up your CO2. Often the beer will have more pressure than your reg is set at and beer will be pushed into your regulator. Since you couldn't seal the lid with CO2 originally, you might want to make sure the lid sealed by checking to make sure the keg has pressure in it before you even start. Sometimes when you naturally carb a keg the lid doen't seal and the CO2 leaks out. A little burp won't hurt a thing and will ensure you will actually have carbed beer for the game. Good luck!!

Thanks for the caution on hooking up the regulator. I actually pulled the pressure relief ring the other day just to see if there was some gas in there and it did burp out a little (I just gave a real quick pull so it shouldn't have all bled out).

Back