Motor for HLT Stirrer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The air fan on my PC has a bigger motor than that! You wouldn't need much to get a small current going, but anything bigger than a tiny impeller/prop will burn that sucker out.

The air fan on my PC has a bigger motor than that! You wouldn't need much to get a small current going, but anything bigger than a tiny impeller/prop will burn that sucker out.

I disagree entirely. That gearmotor will have way more torque than any standard PC fan motor. it's geared down. That's why they call it a gear motor. I see absolutely no reason why it would not work. Much would depend on the size of the propeller, but I don't think it would have to be a huge one to get the job done. In any case, the $6.65 price tag makes the risk rather trivial. I'd give it a try.

Is there a calculation or series of calculations that you can do to see how much torque would be needed to move a certain sized prop in water?

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works out.

Exactly. It's going to be an electric HLT and I need the temperature to be consistent throughout the vessel.

It is not only the consistent HLT temp, it is also having a decent cross flow on the HLT coil that eliminates the thermal barrier. The coil will have the exact same temp as the water in the HLT. Without stirring that is not possible.

Why not just have the pump recirculate the water?

My ghetto HERMS only has one pump. While I'm mashing the pump is busy recirculating the wort through the HEX coil, so I mounted a cheap drill with a paint mixer on the HLT to keep the heat evenly distributed. A second pump recirculating the HLT would be nice, but it's not a luxury all of us have. A used drill or cheap gear motor is usually a lot cheaper than a second pump, and does the job just fine.

sdugre said:
Exactly. It's going to be an electric HLT and I need the temperature to be consistent throughout the vessel.

How did that motor work out? I'm thinking about the same setup.

Well I purchased the gear motor, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Been too busy working on my control panel. Once I get it going I'll post back and let you know how it works.

Back