10 Gallon BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk1012

Reaction score
Is it possible to do a 10gal BIAB? I have a keggle, my thinking is that approx 12gal of liquid would hold a steady mash temp better than say 3-4 in a 5 gallon batch during the mash. If I have the bags and space in my keggle, as well as compinsate for efficiency loss without a sparge(add more grains) would I be losing anything other than effinciency?

The first thing that comes to mind is "can the bag hold that much wet grain?" I don't know if there are bags large enough or strong enough. Maybe there are.

When I first tried to do a partial mash I used multiple bags. I realized that wasn't such a great idea since the temperature was radically different throughout the tun. Live and learn, I guess!

Yes you can if you are doing this in a keggle you can use multiple bags as well as depending on your heat source you can just heat to maintain your mash temp a little bit of creativity it can be done and use Deathbrewers all grain directions as a loose guideline (very good info)

Given the post above, I wanted to mention that I was doing my multiple bag mash in a cooler, so I didn't have an actual heat source on it. I was also using the typical 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. If you use more water and an actual heat source that could make a big difference in keeping the temperatures throughout the mash consistent.

I will be trying this on Thursday (my day off). Hopefully all will go well.

I will be trying this on Thursday (my day off). Hopefully all will go well.

Sorry to bring back this old thread, you still out there 1012?

I am wondering how this played out and if you were happy with the result?
Did you use 2 bags or one?
How did your temps hold?
What was your grain bill?
Did you use the classic BIAB where all of your liquid was in the keggle the whole time (no sparge)?

I would love to hear and update.
Thanks.

Back