What "Newcastle" beer do people rave about?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to really like that beer when i first started trying other beers than the usual BMC stuff. But not i dont really like it that much.

I finally tried newcastle for the first time recently and wasn't all that blown away by it. I was expecting something with a bit more body and flavour. I would buy it again, but more as a drinkable summer brown.

What, the words "The one and only" above "newcastle" on the bottle don't answer your question? :p

Though I'm not sure who raves about it... It's good by comparison to most of the macrobrews out there, but I still put it in the same category as heineken and others as overpriced, overhyped european beers...

Though I'm not sure who raves about it... It's good by comparison to most of the macrobrews out there, but I still put it in the same category as heineken and others as overpriced, overhyped european beers...

That is my stance too. The local bar that I frequent regularly used to be nothing but BMC; they finally started stocking Newcastle. Is it a heck of a lot better than having to drink American light lagers, but is certainly not the best brown ale I have ever had. Better than nothing, but far from my first choice.

It's because it's BEST out of a can! I don't know why, but IMO it is.
Probably because it normally comes in a clear bottle, and we all know what that means... Similarly, I found heineken noticeably more bearable out of a can than from those green bottles...

Pitty Newcastle is sooo expensive in NZ. Its $18 for a 6-pak of bottles!

In contrast, Pilsner Urquell is $15 for 6-pak, Heineken is $14 for 6-pak, but can be brought for $22/$23 often for 12. Damn NZ being so far away!

NZ MAINSTREAM beers like Speights, Export Gold, (I'd say slightly better then the Bud types in the states tho), are about $13 for a dozen.

Newcastle is a great session beer. Always will be. It isn't a fansy or tremendously interesting beer, but it goes done smooth with a clean flavor and that is why it is so popular. BierMuncher has a good clone for it. I just did a variation of BM's clone, but was not all that pleased with it, good beer just not what I was going for.

I always find that newcastle is fantastic from the bottle

and easily forgettable on tap...

I always find that newcastle is fantastic from the bottle

and easily forgettable on tap...

To me, Newcastle is the only beer that I can reliably drink from the bottle or tap and taste somewhat the same. Everything else seems like it tastes like two different beers.

Newkie Brown from the keg with RenFaire dust. Can't be beat. Faire Wenches are also good.

You mean a Black and Brown?

or a Brown and Tan?

The pub where I live sells this as a Black Castle.

I will throw my two cents in here to declare that Newcastle is my absolute favorite mass-produced beer. Sure there are better ones out there, but on the scale of BMC, Heini, Becks, etc. Newcastle is my absolute favorite. To me, it's got an awesome berry-sweetness that just kicks @ss.

And to me, bottle or draft doesn't really make a difference. But if it's out of a bottle, it needs to be OUT of the bottle, ie. in a glass.

I drank a keg of the stuff last fall - almost by myself, but SWMBO helped a little.

Focus

I used to like the Newcastle. But noticed that I'd get a headache after having a few. No more than 3, and I'm a big guy at 240lbs. I actually quit drinking it altogether due to the headaches. I've never been able to figure out what might be causing them.

But I enjoyed it before that.

My brother loves the stuff drank a lot of it in MO - I find it to be alright - much better on draught. Never have seen it in the can - would try that. The stores around here, it sits on the top shelf - right in front of the lights...

But there are much more interesting brown ales to be found.

the brown tastes ok to me, im going to look for it in cans. The werewolf tastes like I imagine matted fur would. But anyways.... Isnt this a HOMEBREW SITE??

Back