My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Starting to set up a stir plate and just want to check if the comp. fan I picked up actually works before I go on. It's got 3 wires, green, black and yellow. The blue tooth charger cord I'm using has 2. I've tried different combos with no luck. The fan label says dc12v but the charger cord just has code numbers no dc or ac. Can't believe I'm stuck already. Should I get another power cord? Thanks

What is the voltage on the Bluetooth charger? Have you hooked up the black fan wire to the solid (not striped) charger wire and tried the other charger wire to the yellow wire on the fan? If you have access to a multimeter check to make sure your charger works. I had a bad one when I first built mine. It worked for a few hours and just stopped? I've found it works best to closely match the amps from the fan to the charger also.

Had to put mine up

20150220_122458.jpg

20150220_122510.jpg

20150220_122525.jpg

20150220_122648.jpg

Stir plates are very simple and inexpensive DIY projects and add so much value to your brewing experience. Under pitching or using old yeast can ruin a beer. Remember a 3 month old yeast pack has lost half of its cells so doing a starter with a stir plate can get you back where you need to be.

Thanks for the feedback!

I epoxied the wood to the case. After the epoxy cured, I marked and drilled bolt holes through both the wood and plastic Glock case. The epoxy probably wasn't necessary, but it really helped with keeping everything aligned while drilling.

Very nice! I've been thinking about building one of these as well. But have been trying to come up with a way to minimize exterior modifications. I think the bolts on the bottom are unavoidable, though. Nice work!

I used this one and it works great. I posted a picture in the 'show us your stir plate' thread.

Thank you for this! Just got done wiring it up. Going to test it out tomorrow.

Edit: works like a champ. Fan struggles a bit to get up to speed, but once the momentum gets going it works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I got my stir plate together it works kind of. I put my stir bar just on top of the stir plate no glass or water and it spins fine and fast but when I put the stir bar in water and put it on the plate the second I turn it on it just dances no spinning. I thought maybe my magnets were to far apart put them closer but still same thing. Right now they are touching because I get them too close and the just pull together. Any suggestions?

One last thing glass no water the bar spins fine.

Try slowly increasing the speed. I have to do this until the the water gets moving, then its fine. The only other thing I can think of is try to flip one of the magnets over, see if it has a stronger pull.

I start as slow as it will go. But that does not help. I do not know maybe my stir bar has a weak magnate because the mag it's about take a finger off getting to each other but the pull between the stir bar and the magnet is not very strong.

I start as slow as it will go. But that does not help. I do not know maybe my stir bar has a weak magnate because the mag it's about take a finger off getting to each other but the pull between the stir bar and the magnet is not very strong.

What magnets do you use? I found a pack of 10 rare earth magents for about 5$ at home depot.

Okay I got my stir plate together it works kind of. I put my stir bar just on top of the stir plate no glass or water and it spins fine and fast but when I put the stir bar in water and put it on the plate the second I turn it on it just dances no spinning. I thought maybe my magnets were to far apart put them closer but still same thing. Right now they are touching because I get them too close and the just pull together. Any suggestions?

Shim your magnets closer to the flask / stirbar.

Your spacing changes, ( slightly, no doubt),as you go from spinning on the plate, to spinning in the flask.

Anyone ever have any luck making a stir bar or anyone ever try?

I made one with a small metal rod that I encased in a straw, worked ok but then I just bought stir bars, much better and piece of mind for small cost.

As for the other post did you put the flask with water on the stir plate while it was running first? That's the best approach, in my experience

I made one with a small metal rod that I encased in a straw, worked ok but then I just bought stir bars, much better and piece of mind for small cost.

As for the other post did you put the flask with water on the stir plate while it was running first? That's the best approach, in my experience

So are you saying to start the plate and then put the flask on. It tries the bar to the side of the flask when I try that. I have never done it intentionally but have done it accidentally.

I would also guess that your magnets are sitting too far away from the stir bar once it is in a flask. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Ok, so, this isn't a "hard" job, but boy power tools would make it so, so much much easier Haha.

Secondly, drill the holes in your fan a smidge bigger than for four guide/mounting bolts that it'll slide on... I made the mistake of not, and the holes of the fan were basically the exact same size as the 10/24 (couldn't find 10/32) bolts, which led to about 30 minutes of frustration and a broken fan hole... Frustrated and calling it a night. I'll wire it up tomorrow...

Just wired mine up using the switch and rheostat in the original post. Using a 11.6VDC 200mA power supply. When on and turned down the fan Judders and barely spins. Turn the rheostat and it reverses direction and does the same thing other directions, juddering. What's going on here?

Edit: well I think my pic fan is the culprit. Tested an extra motherboard fan and it goes like mad.

Ok so can works, rheostat works, 1L flask with 2" bar finds its spot. Turn it on and it spins up and chucks the bar. Tried adding a second hdd magnet to no avail. Fan spinning to fast or another issue? Perhaps find a smaller power supply? Who knew this would be so frustrating.

Edit: tried 3.5V 240mA supply and it works on bottom to 3/4 setting. Any higher still chucks the bar.

Sounds like it may not be exact center, as mine kind of did the same thing. It would start and shortly thereafter it slung it off. It was such a minute adjustment it seemed ridiculous, but it did it and works great now.

Latest posts

Back