How small is too small (brewpot)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJoeR

Reaction score
I have been brewing for over a year now with partial, but am thinking about making the move to AG. I am going to build my own MLT from a couple of 5 gallon Home Depot coolers ($22 each). The main thing that has kept me from going to AG is the space needed. I don't have room in my garage to do the set-up I would like and my kitchen is pretty small with electric burners. I have a 3 gallon brewpot right now. Should I have to upgrade to a larger brewpot or could I tweak the recipes to work with my current pot? I just don't know if the electric burners that we have are efficient enough to brew with a 6 gallon brew pot. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

For stove top brewing, including stovetop ag I've managed for years with a 5 gallon pot I got at family dollar for 10 bucks. It's stainless even. My stove can handle a 3.5 gallon preboil volume, which I then boil down to 2.5 gallons.

A lot of my experimental batches I do are 2.5 gallon batches, but I have also posted on here how I do 5 gallon batches of all grain with the same pre-boil volume above, but topping off in the fermenter to a full 5 gallons.

You can read a detailed explanation of how to do it, here.

Back