Dry Hopping Forgotten Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
So...I made my first extract brew (AHS Bass Clone) and didn't realize until about two hours after the fact that I didn't use all of my hops. :( I shorted myself .5 oz of Fuggles @15 minutes.

Is it ok to dry hop the remaining hops? How much of an influence would this have on the end product? Is it better to just leave it be?

On a sidenote, I have never dry hopped so I would need some guidance. I'm going to start reading now.

TIA,

John

It's a completely different process. Taste the beer after two weeks in the primary, if it tastes good leave it alone. If your kegging it's a simple matter of adding dry hops later, if bottling you need to decide soon. Dry hopping will certainly change the character of your beer and take it away from what you were aiming for.

I will definitely be bottling, and considering it is my first brew, I didn't have high hopes for it tasting as expected. LOL

John

A 15 minute fuggles addition would contribute a few IBU's but mostly flavor. Dryhopping with these would affect aroma more than anything else, so it won't fill the gap, but it would still impart a nice nose to your beer. Half an ounce isn't a lot to dryhop, so the affect will likely be pretty mild.

Dryhopping in the primary has never done much for the aroma in my beers. Rack to a secondary to get your beer off the yeast, then add the hops for 4-7 days. A lot of people (like myself) find it easier to dryhop in a grain bag thats weighed down with a piece of stainless steel.

Back