Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgbranch

Reaction score
Hello all,
I found Edwort's Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Dunkelweizen at Brewmaster's Warehouse and will be brewing it tomorrow morning. I am going for the "Hat Trick" with these Bee Cave recipes as I have had nothing but good luck.
My question is, has anyone brewed this recipe?
This is my first go with a 10gal wheat batch and is my first go with a pound of Rice Hulls. Any suggestions about adding the Rice Hulls?

Here is the recipe. It calls for a 90 minute mash.
Thanks!

Weyermann Pilsner 8 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Pale Wheat 12 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat 16 oz
Hallertau Pellets, German 2 oz @ 45 mins
Rice Hulls 16 oz
Wyeast Labs Weihenstephan Weizen in one carboy.
Wyeast Labs German Wheat in the other carboy.

I have both soaked my rice hulls and just thrown them in and seen little difference (in the runoff amounts).

I THink some people put it in to beer smith and zero something (amount of fermentables? percentage of fermentables?) so it is accounted into the absorbtion calculations.

I have not brewed this... it has me itching for it though! Looks great!

10 gallons. a great way to brew. but man,sometimes I feel it the next day hauling the water around! No real difference though. same procedure.

Based on some other's advice here, I have soaked and rinsed the rice hulls before adding to the mash. This cleans them up a little, they aren't as clean as you might think, and minimizes their absorption.

Looks like a good recipe. I might have to give that one a try. I have tried a few of EdWorts's other recopies and have enjoyed them all.

I have brewed the HPA twice, the RIPA and the IPA. They were all great. Of course having them readily available at Brewmaster's Warehouse made all the difference since I have yet to procure a mill.
Ed at BMW had that kit to me in 2 days! It is always a pleasure doing business with him.
But, a mill is next on the list as my brewclub buys grains in bulk regularly.
I will fire up the burners at daylight in the morning and I am excited to see how my counter-flow chiller does with this nice crisp weather.

Based on some other's advice here, I have soaked and rinsed the rice hulls before adding to the mash. This cleans them up a little, they aren't as clean as you might think, and minimizes their absorption.

Looks like a good recipe. I might have to give that one a try. I have tried a few of EdWorts's other recopies and have enjoyed them all.

I might do that. I guess I could just dough in and add the soaked rice hulls as I am doughing in or right after? Since I will be stirring the crap out of it I suppose it doesnt matter how I add them.......

What is this "supposed" to taste like? Just kegged and mine was a little weak....just doesn't have much flavor. Or is that just a dunkel? I prob effed it up somehow.

I read more about reviews about beer then brew them. I guess you have a good point to try them first. If it ends up being spot on and I hate it then I have 5 gallons of beer I can't stand. I just need to find me a good malty amber a little more hoppy than an Abita amber but not as much as a Fat Tire and just stick to that until I get it just right for my tastes. Thanks for the advice. Cheers

Latest posts

Back