Newb question before brewing first ever 1 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Wes

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. I didn't buy a hydrometer because with a 1 gal batch it would take too much liquid away so; how long would I ferment for in my primary till I bottle? Then how long would I bottle condition before drinking it?
Thanks for any responses.

Also the OG appox= 1.090

FG approx= 1.020
ABV approx= 9.2%

Why can't you buy a hydrometer, sanitize it, float it in, get a reading, pull it out... and then repeat when you think you're closer to FG?

There's no exact time frame anyone can give you -- gotta test the gravity, brother.

I even have a buddy that puts a rubber band and string around the very top to it's easier to pull in and out of his 1 gallon batches.

Cheers!

So he puts it directly in the fermenting bucket and stabilizes it with string and rubber band?

Also the OG appox= 1.090

FG approx= 1.020
ABV approx= 9.2%
Personally, I would be considering racking a high gravity beer to secondary in the 2-3 week range if it was fermenting well. I'd leave it in secondary another 4 weeks or so with that high of a gravity. I'd also let it carbonate in the bottles for 4 weeks. While you can sample as you like aging for a high gravity beer should be 3-6 months for a minimum. If you sample it early you will notice a hot alcohol flavor which will mellow with age.

So he puts it directly in the fermenting bucket and stabilizes it with string and rubber band?

Well, to clarify... I dunno what you're fermenting in -- he uses a big clear growler. No matter what, though, yeah... just sanitize the hydrometer, float it in for a reading, take it out, and re-close whatever your fermenter is (sounds like yours is a bucket).

Because he's scared he's gonna let it drop and not be able to reach the top with his fingers... he puts a string on the end... rubber bands it on with this teeny band used for people's braces... just in case. True this adds a MINISCULE bit of weight to his hydro (something I pointed out to him), but really not enough to affect when you know it's done fermenting.

Also...... some guys will tell you to sanitize a thief, take some out for a reading, and put it back in. I don't see a problem with this if you're REALLY anal about staying sanitary -- but many would argue that's a decent risk. Shrug. Your call man... but the one thing nobody can tell you is exactly how long it will take to finish its fermentation.

Hope that helps?

Cheers!

If you don't mind, what's a Thief? And yes I am using a 2 gallon bucket. I am trying to imagine dropping a hydro meter in the bucket without it falling over...

If you don't mind, what's a Thief? And yes I am using a 2 gallon bucket. I am trying to imagine dropping a hydro meter in the bucket without it falling over...

They float like bouys. *But* if you are doing a 1 gallon batch your fermenter probably isn't deep enough. But I imagine you can buy compact hydrometers that are only a few inches long.

But *then* if the hydrometer was only a few inches long you could float it in a much smaller volume of wort.

Hey guys quick question. I didn't buy a hydrometer because with a 1 gal batch it would take too much liquid away so; how long would I ferment for in my primary till I bottle? Then how long would I bottle condition before drinking it?
Thanks for any responses.

You can use the plastic tube the hydro comes in, just pour your test sample back in your wort.

You can use the plastic tube the hydro comes in, just pour your test sample back in your wort.

*if* you sanitize the tube and hydrometer, right?

I've been told, but don't have experience, that the tube is too narrow and the hydrometer is liable to stick or rub against the sides.

But, duh, sanitize the materials and put sample back.

*if* you sanitize the tube and hydrometer, right?

I've been told, but don't have experience, that the tube is too narrow and the hydrometer is liable to stick or rub against the sides.

But, duh, sanitize the materials and put sample back.

It's narrow, but it still works. Just sanitize the tube, and the bottom cap, and your fine........

... and then again, you can always be very informal and do the "well, after two or weeks there's a layer of yeast sediment on the bottom and it looks pretty clear and all activity has stopped and the little bit I drank tastes like flat beer so I guess it must be ready" approach. I mean, for your first batch why not? The worst that can happen is that you are left with a feeling that you have a lifetime to perfect your technique. And that can be a good feeling.

D-Wes said:

I know guys that put their hydro right in their brew and leave ut there until readings are the same a few days in a row!!!

It's [...the tube one bought the hydrometer in ...] narrow, but it still works. Just sanitize the tube, and the bottom cap, and your fine........

I wanted to believe this *so* badly, but when I tried it my hydrometer rubbed against the side giving me inaccurate readings that varied by .01. *sigh* well, more power to you if you can make it work. I couldn't.

Back