Observation: 1st Time Adding Yeast for Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSmith

Reaction score
Here's an observation from the first time adding yeast at bottling. I plan to follow up with a second post when I repeat this with less yeast & a comparison picture of the yeast cake in the bottles after some aging.

I added S04 yeast at bottling to about an 8% ABV beer that had a 6 week primary and a week of cold crashing with gelatin. First time using gelatin and dry yeast for bottling.

I intended to add bottling yeast at a ratio of 1*10^6 grams of yeast per mL of bottled beer (commonly cited Sierra Nevada ratio)

Dry yeast packages list their yeast at 6x10^9 cells per gram, MrMalty.com statest that rehyrated yeast is actually more like 20x10^9 cells per gram.

The 6*10^9 cells per gram of yeast results in needing 0.6 g of dry yeast per gallon of bottled beer.
The 20*10^9 cells per gram of yeast resuts in needing 0.2 g of dry yeast per gallon of bottled beer.

For the first time I went with the 0.6 g per gallon of beer amount of rehydrated yeast and am seeing much more yeast (more than a light dusting on the bottom) than ever before when I relied on the yeast left in suspension (cold crashing but not using gelatin).

Gelatin impressed me enough to try it on another batch that I'll be bottling but am going to add rehydrated S04 at bottling at the 0.2 g per gallon of finished beer.

The yeast at the bottom won't be a problem with a few weeks of aging upright and careful pouring. I wouldn't add rehydrated yeast at the 0.6 grams per gallon ratio again.

Why are you adding yeast at bottling? I have always gotten fine clarity and carbonation by simply transferring off the yeast cake direct to bottle.

Why are you adding yeast at bottling? I have always gotten fine clarity and carbonation by simply transferring off the yeast cake direct to bottle.

I've done many batches without adding more yeast. Brewed a 9%ABV beer this Summer with a long primary, cold secondary & bottled - 2.5 months later still have flat beer. They are stored above 70F and have been roused several times. I'm exploring this technique to use in select situations.

The batch I tried adding the yeast had about a 2 month primary with a week of cold crashing with gelatin and is 8%ABV. It seemed like like a chance for flat beer again and a learning experience with a new technique.

It's been less than a week and I suspect by the way the yeast are flocculating to the bottom of the bottles that there is carbonation in the headspace but is too soon to open one.

It's been less than a week and I suspect by the way the yeast are flocculating to the bottom of the bottles that there is carbonation in the headspace but is too soon to open one.

I like to do 1-2 bottles from each batch in plastic seltzer bottles. I can tell by looking at / feeling the bottle if it's carbed up already, it takes a lot of the guesswork out of things.

Cool. I have only done one beer that was a long secodary...6 months. It carbed fine, I just intentionally pulled up a little bit of the yeast cake. But if I have problems I will consider this.

Good luck!

Here's an observation from the first time adding yeast at bottling. I plan to follow up with a second post when I repeat this with less yeast & a comparison picture of the yeast cake in the bottles after some aging.

I added S04 yeast at bottling to about an 8% ABV beer that had a 6 week primary and a week of cold crashing with gelatin. First time using gelatin and dry yeast for bottling.

I intended to add bottling yeast at a ratio of 1*10^6 grams of yeast per mL of bottled beer (commonly cited Sierra Nevada ratio)

Dry yeast packages list their yeast at 6x10^9 cells per gram, MrMalty.com statest that rehyrated yeast is actually more like 20x10^9 cells per gram.

The 6*10^9 cells per gram of yeast results in needing 0.6 g of dry yeast per gallon of bottled beer.
The 20*10^9 cells per gram of yeast resuts in needing 0.2 g of dry yeast per gallon of bottled beer.

For the first time I went with the 0.6 g per gallon of beer amount of rehydrated yeast and am seeing much more yeast (more than a light dusting on the bottom) than ever before when I relied on the yeast left in suspension (cold crashing but not using gelatin).

Gelatin impressed me enough to try it on another batch that I'll be bottling but am going to add rehydrated S04 at bottling at the 0.2 g per gallon of finished beer.

The yeast at the bottom won't be a problem with a few weeks of aging upright and careful pouring. I wouldn't add rehydrated yeast at the 0.6 grams per gallon ratio again.

Here is an update with a pictures:
Picture 1: SO4 yeast added at 0.6 g of dry yeast per gallon of bottled beer
Picture 2: SO4 yeast added at 0.2 g of dry yeast per gallon of bottled beer

Both beers had 4+ week primary, cold crashed, gelatin, 1 week of cold storage before bottling

The beer in picture 1 was moderately carbonated in a week with no problem pouring a clear pint even with extra sediment on the bottom. The process of abosorbing the carbonation wasn't complete in a week.

I have not opened a beer in picture 2 yet but the sediment is a "dusting" similar to commercial bottle conditioned beers. I will update Picture 2 in a few weeks to get that beer at the same age as Picture 1.

Picture 1
Bottling Yeast Cake_6E9 cells per gram.jpg
Picture 2
Bottling Yeast Cake_20E9 cells per gram.jpg

In my experience, S04 is such a good flocculator that pretty much none of that sediment makes it into the glass. It just sticks right to the bottom of the bottle after a couple days in the fridge.

Back