I hit the mother load

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcha

Reaction score
I guess little things excite me....... I went out with my wife to help some senior citizens yesterday.....Me being nice and all, and I hit the mother load. 12 ooops 11 one gallon glass jugs, no longer being used by one of the nice ladies where given to me. A couple of hours of elbow grease and I now have enough secondaries to make many small batches.
So be nice to those older folks in your neighborhood, help them progam there new tv's and you might just find your own mother load.

On a nother subject i am making a list of Questions that I wil be asking all of you. I also am hoping maybe there is someone(with lots of experience) that I can call and to talk to about wine making. Let me know if anyone would be up to that.

Also, my own thought on cleaning and sanitizing. I was in the restaurant business for 25+ years and when and one thing the health dept. made us do was rinse with cold water. So when doing your final rinse, make it as cold as you can handle. I know a lot of people that rinse with warm water(bacteria love warm water). I have not seen any one mention that in the forums.

In Secondary: 5 gallons Cider
4 gallons apple wine
2- gallons of apple cider

Fermenting Welch's mixe juices
Mixed fruits(strawberry, blue berries & rasberries)

Next item to do is a honey beer........It think I will be brave and make my own recipe.

Thanks all matt

Personally I have moved onto no rinse sanitizers, such as 1 step and StarSan, they are great. Just clean as necessary, use the sanitizer and dump it out. No need to rinse, with regardless of temperature, can contain things you don't want in your brew.

Oh no worries, I used bleach for a long time before I started using real sanitizer. You have to be careful with it and it does require a lot of rinsing. I was just pointing out the benefit of moving on to sanitizers. Honestly I didn't even worry about the backwards way of sanitizing something just to rinse it with tap water. I used bleach and rinse with tap water with no ill effects.

Just a tip about bottles. I put an ad in a community newspaper that puts free ads for "recycle" items. A very nice older man called and gave me 23 perfect one gallon wine bottles and another couple called with dozens of 1 & 1.5 liter bottles. If you live in an area that does not have a paid recycle program for glass there are lots of people out there that want to recycle. So now I have just ordered lots of new drilled bungs & airlocks.

Janet

Latest posts

Back