Sour Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
I did an extract oatmeal stout a little over a month ago. I followed the advice of my LHBS owner and used the Brewers Best Irish Stout kit, but I threw in 1lb of oatmeal during the steeping process. When I racked it to the secondary, I drank the S.G. sample and it was awesome. When I bottled two weeks later, it seemed like something was off, but it was hard to tell. Two weeks after that I tried drinking one, and it was well carbonated, but it had a very sour taste. The aftertaste however, was still very good. I left it alone for about a week and a half and it still tasted too sour to drink, so I decided to give it a little more time. After another 10 days or so I tried it and the sourness seems to be lessened.
I'm curiouse if anyone else has had a similar experience. I'm wondering if sour beer means it's bad, or if it just needs more time. I know Papazian says it probably means something wasn't sanitized properly. I'd hate to dump it just yet because it seems to be mellowing out. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

IMHO; Bottled stouts seem to take longer to condition than kegged stouts.

Relax..It'l be fine.. Give it a couple of weeks.

:mug:

Back