Michelob Specialty Ales & Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this swil?

SWMBO called me from Wally-world and said there was this 'Sampler Collection' of Pale Ale, Wheat, Marzen/Octoberfest, and Porter' so I told her to get it. Then she got home and I realized that is was all Michelob...I thought it was different Micro Brews.:mad:

So we tried them anyway...keep in mind, that I'm a noob and don't know what these stiles are actually suppose to taste like. But here's my reviews:

Michelob Marzen:
Augh (if that's how it's spelled) this was awfully!
It had a interesting first impression, but then a bitter that just kept swelling to crap! And left an awfully bitter aftertaste (although not as bad as the first bitter climax)

Porter:
Damn, it tasted like the first one! Except it didn't have that bitter that just kept swelling to worse and worse. And the aftertaste wasn't as bad.

Wheat:
Yuck! I should point out that I LIKE Fat Tire, and Love Moose Drool (not that they are wheat beer) didn't care for Widmers Hefewiezen, but do enjoy the occasional Honey wheat beer. But I've never tasted swil like this before! It had such a 'spiced' aftertaste that I thought I had drank some pumpkin pie spice or something.

I've drank many a crappie beer, to wash down the tequila, but this is the first time I've drank tequila to wash down the 'beer'. Is this what wheats are suppose to tasted like?????? If so, I've drank my last!

Pale Ale: I'm not a huge fan of Pale Ale, mostly because American Pale Ales are OVERLY hopped, but I liked this. I'm not sure if it's because it was a decent beer, or if it was just the least of the 4 evils, but It is the ONLY beer out of Michelob's Specialty Ales & Lagers that I will ever buy again!

I welcome any comments from anyone who has tried these beers, and want to set me straight about what the styles are really supose to taste like. My best guess is that this is Michelob's attempt at convincing people that their regular crapy beer is better than micro-brews. Had I not tasted better micro-brews before this, I probably would never try anything but a BMC lagger again.

I've tried 'em. Similar situation where swmbo came home with 'em. The best thing I can say is that the packaging looks cool. That's where it all ends. They all tasted like Michelobe Ultra with a variety of flavorings added. There are still several of them in the fridge that I'll throw out some day when I clean the fridge out.

tried the marzen because I really like octoberfest. This was only 5.79 for a six pack and I'd never seen it before. Not the best I'd have to say. The sam adams version kicks its ass. Haven't tried any of the other ones yet.

I actually kinda like their hefeweizen, kinda watery compared to the real thing, but suprisingly good. I wouldn't pay full normal price for it but I'll pick it up if its in the discount cart. I do love hefeweizens though so even a below average one is drinkable to me

Riter_Odinson said:
I actually kinda like their hefeweizen, kinda watery compared to the real thing, but suprisingly good. I wouldn't pay full normal price for it but I'll pick it up if its in the discount cart. I do love hefeweizens though so even a below average one is drinkable to me
Are hefeweizens suppose to have such a 'spiced' flavor? This thing tasted like it had been loaded down with pumpkin pie spices or something.

Ive never had a Hefe that was like that, not to say there aren't any but it seems like they were confused and made more of a Belgian Wit like Hoegarrden they have the spicey after taste, On another note I dont like and of the specialty beers the only beer they have that I like is the Amber Bock.

Can't say that I have. I'll probably never bother picking any up, so the only way I'll ever try any of them is if one of my BMC buddies get adventerous and brings some over to my house on poker night or something.

I will say that at least this round of gimmicky beers sounds better than the fruit infused nastyness that I just noticed for the first time yesterday.

I tried the porter off of the tap at Busch gardens last year. When my porter tasted like that I dumped the keg because it was an infected batch.

SWMBO brought me a fifth of jack and a 4pack of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. :rockin:

She knows not to touch anything that comes from BMC-land. :D

And I agree with Jesse's assessment. I had the same paranoiac suspicion...

My best guess is that this is Michelob's attempt at convincing people that their regular crappy beer is better than micro-brews. Had I not tasted better micro-brews before this, I probably would never try anything but a BMC lager again.

i had a bad experience with Mich, i can never look at my college roommates the same after that, anyway i spent the majority of the night with the worst case of the runs...

gross.

I have to completely disagree. We have purchased these samplers for the 2nd year. SWMBO loves the marzen, I enjoy the wheat. You have to take a beer for what it is, and realise that these are macro brews. I eat walmart mac and cheese and like it, but is it as good as the baked home-made stuff that comes from grandma? NO, but that doesn't mean its crap.

MrShake said:
I have to completely disagree. We have purchased these samplers for the 2nd year. SWMBO loves the marzen, I enjoy the wheat. You have to take a beer for what it is, and realise that these are macro brews. I eat walmart mac and cheese and like it, but is it as good as the baked home-made stuff that comes from grandma? NO, but that doesn't mean its crap.

Thanks for bringing us, snobs down to earth. You're right, in the right context, these are impressive beers (the context being that they came from anheuser busch). At least BMC is starting to notice that people actually do care what their beer tastes like. I hope it catches on:)

seume said:
tried the marzen because I really like octoberfest. This was only 5.79 for a six pack and I'd never seen it before. Not the best I'd have to say. The sam adams version kicks its ass. Haven't tried any of the other ones yet.

*makes sure flame suit is snug*

I think I actually prefer the Mich Marzen over SA Octoberfest. Perhaps there was something wrong with my SA batch or just something right with the Marzen. I wound up with both in my fridge at the same time.

Back