Bayou Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briandickens

Reaction score
I know it's been asked before, but I want to ask again. I am getting a bunch of brewing equipment for christmas, including a barley crusher and a 15 gallon pot. I want to get a burner too, but am unsure whether the Bayou Classic KAB5 (banjo) is really better than the SQ14. KAB5 appears to have a bigger surface, so that's cool. How much better is the KAB5? Will it heat wort twice as fast? If it takes around the same amount of time, I don't know if it's worth it. Let me know what you think? For the cost of the KAB5, I could get a SQ14 burner and a weldless spigot for my kettle, but I don't want to be unhappy with the SQ14.

I really like my SQ14 so far. Its 16"x16" and it fits my keggle on top of it. The only thing I did was upgrade the regulator so it can boil double batches. Its on the left in this pic...

8492-keggles.jpg

What size batches are you doing? I have I believe the KAB4 (which is supposed to be better than the KAB5) and the SQ14, and I prefer the SQ14. Plenty of oomph (usually brings 8 gallons of wort to boil, from mash temps, in less than twenty minutes), but relatively easy to control the heat. It also burns a LOT cleaner than my Banjo. Some of the issues I have with the KAB4 may have been resolved, though.

I don't know if they made the KAB5 bigger, but the SQ14 is a bit larger and fits the keggle better.

In any case, I can highly recommend the SQ14.

The main thing to look at is the PSI on the regulator and the overall BTU output. If you upgrade the SQ14 with a 20 psi regulator (25 bucks) it is great for boiling up to 15 gallons at a time. Without the upgrade to the 20 psi regulator it does a great job of 5 to 7 gallon batches, which if you don't plan on doing 10+ gallons might be right for your application.

Awesome! I am doing 5 gallon batches right now but once I move out of the apartment I'm in (which should be only a few months away) I want to ramp up to 10 gallon batches. I guess I could get the SQ14 now with some other parts, and when I get to doing 10 gallon batches see if the burner isn't doing it for me.

Donasay said:
The main thing to look at is the PSI on the regulator and the overall BTU output. If you upgrade the SQ14 with a 20 psi regulator (25 bucks) it is great for boiling up to 15 gallons at a time. Without the upgrade to the 20 psi regulator it does a great job of 5 to 7 gallon batches, which if you don't plan on doing 10+ gallons might be right for your application.

The 15psi regulator will work for double batches. I agree the 10psi is not strong enough...

Soulive21 said:
The 15psi regulator will work for double batches. I agree the 10psi is not strong enough...

See, I don't know about that.... I'd only be going from 8 gallons to 12 if I did double-batches, and it really seems like I wouldn't have any trouble getting to boil (certainly none maintaining it). The SQ14 seems to throw off just as many effective BTUs (if such a term exists) as the KAB4, I'm convinced because it burns so much more cleanly.

the_bird said:
See, I don't know about that.... I'd only be going from 8 gallons to 12 if I did double-batches, and it really seems like I wouldn't have any trouble getting to boil (certainly none maintaining it). The SQ14 seems to throw off just as many effective BTUs (if such a term exists) as the KAB4, I'm convinced because it burns so much more cleanly.

You could be right, but I like more power ala Tim Taylor :D

I'd also add that you should pay close attention to the air intake control. You can get it to burn like crap if you adjust it wrong ;-)

Hey Ben, from that pic angle my redneck brewstand actually looks like something, uh, not so Sanford and Son.

I used an SQ14 to bring almost 14 gal to a boil yesterday from mash temp to boil in about 30 min. Adjusting the air intake makes a big difference. With the air intake wide open, the flames were almost completely orange/yellow. I adjusted the intake so that the flames were almost completely blue with just an orange tip and not only was it a lot quieter, it seemed to be much more efficient and hotter.

And once the wort was boiling, there was definitely no problem holding the boil for the full hour.

If you plan on making a brew sculpture in the future, you can always use the SQ14 to heat strike/sparge water and then use the banjo for the boil.

That's what I'm going to do then. The extra money not spend on the banjo can go toward a spigot for the kettle and maybe a bazooka screen. Awesome. I'm really excited! I have my next two brews already planned out and really looking forward to them.

Thanks for the advice! I hope it keeps coming too.

Bobby_M said:
I'd also add that you should pay close attention to the air intake control. You can get it to burn like crap if you adjust it wrong ;-)

Hey Ben, from that pic angle my redneck brewstand actually looks like something, uh, not so Sanford and Son.

I took the shot from your brewstand's "good side" :p

To the OP'er, the air intake on the burner is pretty damn important. We figured that out on Saturday...

Then I am sure I'll have some questions come January regarding how to get the best air intake on the regulator. I've heard this burner is funny with higher pressure regulators, that it might blow itself out. I guess you guys haven't had that issue?

briandickens said:
Then I am sure I'll have some questions come January regarding how to get the best air intake on the regulator. I've heard this burner is funny with higher pressure regulators, that it might blow itself out. I guess you guys haven't had that issue?

I heard the 20psi regulator can blow it out, but not 15psi. You'll know if the air intakes not right because it'll burn like crap. Its really easy to adjust though...

Just to summarize what I saw, if you want to run your burner on HIGH you generally open the air intake wider and wider until you start getting noisy inconsistent flames that tend to hover "off" the openings. That's where you back off a bit. Now, if you try turning the gas lower for less heat, you'll have to dial back the intake if you get orange flame. You just have to adjust for a clean blue flame.

I've got the SP10 that has been working fine for 5 gallon batches; however, with the new year, I have plans to step up to 10 gallon batches. Does anyone use the SP10 with 10 gallon batches and if so, did you upgrade beyond the 10 PSI regulator that came with the burner?

Hill Country Brewer said:
I've got the SP10 that has been working fine for 5 gallon batches; however, with the new year, I have plans to step up to 10 gallon batches. Does anyone use the SP10 with 10 gallon batches and if so, did you upgrade beyond the 10 PSI regulator that came with the burner?

I believe the SP10 comes with the 20PSI regulator, at least it is listed as such on their website

Soulive21 said:
I really like my SQ14 so far. Its 16"x16" and it fits my keggle on top of it. The only thing I did was upgrade the regulator so it can boil double batches. Its on the left in this pic...

8492-keggles.jpg

I need a burner upgrade

How many BTUs from your upgrade? What PSI regulator ? Also did you have to get the regulator separate and install ? Where did you get it?

Also what is you time to boil 15 gal?

Sorry for so many questions but I need to be able to brew outside when it is 0 F and my turkey fryer isnt quite up for the big batches

Dr Vorlauf said:
I need a burner upgrade

How many BTUs from your upgrade? What PSI regulator ? Also did you have to get the regulator separate and install ? Where did you get it?

Also what is you time to boil 15 gal?

Sorry for so many questions but I need to be able to brew outside when it is 0 F and my turkey fryer isnt quite up for the big batches

I got the 15psi that is supposed to get me up to 120k BTUs. It is sold seperately and I ordered directly from the company. I haven't tried it for double batches yet, so I don't know how long it will take to come up to boil...

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/propane_regulator_kit.htm

strohs said:
I believe the SP10 comes with the 20PSI regulator, at least it is listed as such on their website

Interesting...I just checked mine again and it is definitely 10 PSI; however, I suppose it would handle the 20PSI just fine since that is what their website lists now. I bought it about a year ago from Amazon so I wonder if I was shipped the wrong regulator.

Bit of an outdated topic but does anyone know if I can fit a ng jet burner on the sq14? I need a stand about that size so it would be perfect if I could!

I just don't want to spend a fortune now on a NG stand since i'm going to start building a complete brew stand.

Thanks a lot!

bevoduz said:
Bit of an outdated topic but does anyone know if I can fit a ng jet burner on the sq14? I need a stand about that size so it would be perfect if I could!

I just don't want to spend a fortune now on a NG stand since i'm going to start building a complete brew stand.

Thanks a lot!

It probably depends on the NG burner, but I don't see why not. You just have to figure a way to suspend it since the mounting point for the burner on the SQ14 probably isn't well placed for an NG burner. Most NG burners are round gas pipe sprouting a bunch of brass nipples.

But if it was me, I think I'd just buy a cheap propane burner and stand for the meantime and get busy building the complete brew stand. Which is what I'm doing, in fact.

Back