Blackberry brewing Recipes ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermVerm

Reaction score
A friend called and said "I have come into a ton of Blackberries, want to brew something with them?" -yeah of course I want to brew...

So 8 quartz frozen Blackberries. I have a sanka keg brewing system so 10 gallons.

Any ideas for recipes that would work well with these?

Anything to watch out for when brewing with Blackberries.

Blackberries do well in sweet stouts and darker beers in general. The seeds can be a real pain. They are just the right size to clog racking canes, keg pickups, etc. I freeze them first and use a big grain bag.

david_42 said:
Blackberries do well in sweet stouts and darker beers in general. The seeds can be a real pain. They are just the right size to clog racking canes, keg pickups, etc. I freeze them first and use a big grain bag.
Will there be a long aging process on blackberries? I was thinking toward a blackberry hefe?

Blackberry Flanders Red! Friend has one going right now, make a hefe to drink now and the flanders for a year down the road.

VermVerm said:
Will there be a long aging process on blackberries? I was thinking toward a blackberry hefe?
I didn't age my blackberry hefe, well actually it was a dewberry hefe, any longer than normal. David_42 is absolutely correct about the seeds; I didn't prepare properly for them and they were a pain to deal with. I like his idea of the grain bag, live and learn I reckon.

runhard said:
I didn't age my blackberry hefe, well actually it was a dewberry hefe, any longer than normal. David_42 is absolutely correct about the seeds; I didn't prepare properly for them and they were a pain to deal with. I like his idea of the grain bag, live and learn I reckon.

Could you describe the results of the blackberry hefe. Do you still have the recipe you used?
Thanks
Verm

runhard said:

Could you describe the results of the blackberry hefe. Do you still have the recipe you used?
Thanks
Verm

Okay, I haven't tried this, and I'm still at the malt-extract stage of my homebrewing development, but what I'd to is make a puree of the fresh blackberries with some of the green beer after complete fermentation and use that to prime your bottles. I tried making a cherry stout once and I had the same problem with the flavor fermenting out. I know you're making a hefe, but still...

Assume fructose = dextrose for yeast metabolism. You'd need about 630g of dextrose for a 10 gal batch of beer to reach 5 vols. carbonation. Blackberries are 8% sugar by weight, which I assume is mainly fructose. To get that much sugar from the blackberries, you'll need 630/0.08 = 7.88 kilos of blackberries. I'm not sure if 8 quarts is >= 7.88 kg, but you get the idea.

ericd said:
Okay, I haven't tried this, and I'm still at the malt-extract stage of my homebrewing development, but what I'd to is make a puree of the fresh blackberries with some of the green beer after complete fermentation and use that to prime your bottles. I tried making a cherry stout once and I had the same problem with the flavor fermenting out. I know you're making a hefe, but still...

Assume fructose = dextrose for yeast metabolism. You'd need about 630g of dextrose for a 10 gal batch of beer to reach 5 vols. carbonation. Blackberries are 8% sugar by weight, which I assume is mainly fructose. To get that much sugar from the blackberries, you'll need 630/0.08 = 7.88 kilos of blackberries. I'm not sure if 8 quarts is >= 7.88 kg, but you get the idea.

Its really tough to say how to keep the "fruit" flavor in. Yeast eats a lot of things and leaves very little. I have made a raspberry porter before and the specialty (dark malts in extract) malts overpowered the fruit. The truth is I thought I would get more taste out of a lighter hefe but I couldn't notice that much difference. Once again, it was good, but not fantastic. I used 10 pounds of blackberries in my 10 gallon brew. it was 1.050 and finished a dry 1.010. Good luck!

I'm doing a blackberry wheat next. Total newb at this but I bought the extract and am just going to add it with my primer. Anybody had any good luck with this method? I bought a wonerful whichita wheat from homebrewusa. Figured I'd do half with extract and half without. Any reviews??:drunk:

Back