Increase Hops in Small Boil Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooderson250wcg

Reaction score
Newbie here, I am starting my second partial mash following the 6lbs of grain method described in BYO here. This recipe will be a Snake Dog IPA clone using the recipe here converted. My question is when doing these small boil partial mashes do I need to increase the hops by a percentage? If so what is the recommended percentage. I read that small boils don’t get as good hop utilization and I think my amber ale I just bottled didn’t come out as bitter as I had planned.

Thanks to all!

How large is your boil and how large is your final volume once you water down the wort?

I went from to "partial-boil partial mash" to "full-boil partial mash" about a year ago and I could definitely tell a difference, especially with hop-focused beers. My suggestion would be to do as large of a boil as your kettle safely allows. If it's significantly less than your final volume, I'd probably up your hops by about 25% (not including dry hops, obviously).

I'd also note that if you're compiling your own recipes, there's no rule that says every batch has to be 5 gallons. If I didn't have to ability to do a full-boil, I'd honestly rather make 2-3 gallon batches instead of watering down the wort.

Back