Fullers E.S.B. Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good Fullers E.S.B. clone or equivalent. I'm making a run to the LHBS today and really want to do a good ESB. Fullers is my favorite commercial ESB so any recipes or advise I'd like to be similar.

thanks and cheers,

Josh

thanks mate! Still really would like a good Extract recipe and one that I dont have to do conversions on :)

Since we're in the Extract section, I'm assuming that's the recipe you want. This is from BYO's 150. I've made it twice. Came out great both times. Just did the AG version a week ago.

(5 gallons, extract with grains)

OG = 1.060 FG = 1.014 Bitterness = 35 IBUs ABV=5.9%

Ingredients

•1 lb. (0.45 kg) Crisp Maris Otter (3.5-4.5 L)
•1 lb. 4oz. (0.57 kg) crystal malt (60 L)
•1 lb. 5oz. (0.6 kg) corn sugar
•2.2 lbs. (1 kg) light dried malt extract (DME)
•3.3 lbs (1.5 kg) light liquid malt extract (LME)
•5.25 AAU Target hops (.42 oz./12 gm of 10% alpha acid) (60 min)
•2.6 AAU Challenger hops (0.46 oz./13 gm of 7.5% alpha acid) (60 Min)
•0.83 AAU Northdown hops (0.1 oz./2.7 gm of 8.5% alpha acid) (15 Min)
•1.66 AAU Goldings hops (0.33 oz./9.4 gm of 5% alpha acid) (15 Min)
•1 Whirfloc Tablet and yeast nutrient(15 min)
•Special London yeast slurry (Wyeast 1968) (2 qt./~2 L yeast starter)
•3/4 cups light corn sugar for priming

Step by Step

In a large pot, heat 3.4 quarts of water to 165 Deg F. Add crushed grains to grain bag. Submerge bag and let grains steep around 154 deg F for 45 minutes.
While grains steep, heat 2.25 gallons of water in brewpot. When steep is over, remove 1.1 quarts from brewpot and add to steep pot. Remove grain bag. Sparge grain with steep liquid. Add to brewpot.
Heat brewpot to a boil. Add DME. Add target and Challenger hops.
Begin 60 min boil.
With 15 min remaining, add corn sugar, Whirfloc and yeast nutrients, Northdown and Goldings hops.
Turn off heat. Add LME. Stir to dissolve.
Return pot to boil.
Remove from heat, cool. Add to fermenter along with enough chilled, pre-boiled water to make up 5.25 gallons.

When cooled to 70° F, aerate well and pitch yeast. Ferment at 70° F for seven days. Rack to secondary, condition at 70° F for seven days or when beer falls clear. Prime with corn sugar and bottle. Bottle condition for 2 weeks.

From "Clone Brews"

Fuller's ESB
OG 1.054-1.057 FG 1.011-1.014 5.5% ABV

Crush and steep in 1/2 gallon of 150 degree water for 20 minutes
12 oz 55L British Crystal Malt
2 oz British Amber Malt
2 oz aromatic malt

Strain Grain water into brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon of 150 degree water. Add water to the brewpot for 1.5 gallons total volume. Bring to boil and add:
6.25 lb Muntons light DME
4 oz Corn Sugar
1.25 oz Target @8% AA (10HBU) (bittering)

Add water until volume in the brewpot is 2.5 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes and then add:
1/2 oz Challenger (flavor)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Boil for five minutes then add:
1/2 oz Northdown (flavor)

Boil for 9 minutes then add:
1 oz East Kent Goldings (aroma)

Boil for one minute. Cool for 15 minutes. Strain cooled wort into fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 gallons. When temp is under 80, pitch yeast.

1st choice: Wyeast's 1968 Special London Ale Yeast
2nd choice: Wyeast's 1028 London Ale Yeast

Ferment for 5-7 days or until fermentation slows. Siphon to secondary and add:
1/2 oz East Kent Goldings (dry hop)

Bottle when fermentation is complete with:
3/4 corn sugar.

Hope this helps
Al

Cheers! thanks everyone. Yeah I actually just ordered the BYO clone mag yesterday. :) I pretty much came up with a dumbed down version of what both of your recipes have there.

Thanks much again look forward to doing this clone next.

Josh

Back