Kegging Red Bull at $0.14 per 12 oz can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i use a carbonation cap i fill to just above the where the curve starts and squeeze the bottle til the liquid reaches the top. This both purges the o2 and gives room for the co2 to enter and have some headspace.

No it doesn't. You aren't drawing in CO2 when you release your hand from the bottle. All you've done is just sucked back in the O2 you "purged". Bottles don't breath like humans do.

No it doesn't. You aren't drawing in CO2 when you release your hand from the bottle. All you've done is just sucked back in the O2 you "purged". Bottles don't breath like humans do.

If you put the carbonator cap on before releasing your grip all the O2 would be displaced. Then when you connect the CO2 QD it should fill with CO2 only. I think thats what he was getting at.

lol. yeah he means to squeeze it and cap. thats what I do with my carbinator caps. i bottle a 20 oz bottle with my wand and then do the squeeze technique. works like a charm.

:mug: I am going to make some of this for my sons 1st birthday. there will be some <21 peoples there and they will want to drink from a keg. plus soda kegstands? get them ready for college! :rockin:

Thanks OP, I cannot wait to get some soda/energy drink going.

oh, rambling, what about mixing the energy and some cola mix, get a kind of monster cola kinda vibe? I may have to try this when I get my kegs early next week, will report back....

Never kegged soda, just beer. Is this something I can put up in a spare tap-a-draft bottle successfully? Anyone have experience? I'd love to try it, but hate to go to the expense of a little soda machine or running soda through my keg setup.

I think the poster is correct:

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/TasteNutritionInfo.aspx

Oh well, guess I'll just have to drink twice as much now that it's economically viable. Could also concentrate the mix to bump it, but I don't know how that will effect flavor.

Seems like you should be able to concentrate it. I mean everything is in lesser amounts than Red Bull including calories and sugar. I'd try to concentrate it and see how it tastes. I may have to check this out. Red Bull is my energy boost of choice.

I thought kegging soda's could provide off flavors for the tubing/keg? I know that all of the kegs were originally soda kegs, I just remember reading somewhere on here that you should just add the syrup after you've dispensed the water.

I thought kegging soda's could provide off flavors for the tubing/keg? I know that all of the kegs were originally soda kegs, I just remember reading somewhere on here that you should just add the syrup after you've dispensed the water.

I've had problems with syrup in old corny kegs so you probably bring up a valid concern. Maybe it'd be better if you had a dedicated keg with dedicated tubing for this?

This is what I do, instead of adding the syrup to the keg I just carb the water put some syrup in a glass and add the carbonated water. That way no off taste if I need to use it for beer later and you can choose between the available syrups.

It was drinkable. Actually it wasnt really the sweetness that I felt was off, but the sharp acidic bite at the end of regular Cola was missing.

I wouldn't think it would as good as a regular cola since it has way fewer calories and no HFCS. Was it any good at all?
Really you want HFCS, I though most people thought it tasted better with sugar? I think we still might have sugar in ours and heard on the radio the other day that some company was importing Coke from the USA and people were saying it just wasn't as good. But as with everything, each to their own :)

It was drinkable. Actually it wasnt really the sweetness that I felt was off, but the sharp acidic bite at the end of regular Cola was missing.

That could be the carb level, ever notice how flat Coke is always sweeter than fresh. The disolve CO2 does actualy for carbonic acid to give it a bit of a bite.

Really you want HFCS, I though most people thought it tasted better with sugar? I think we still might have sugar in ours and heard on the radio the other day that some company was importing Coke from the USA and people were saying it just wasn't as good. But as with everything, each to their own :)

That could be the carb level, ever notice how flat Coke is always sweeter than fresh. The disolve CO2 does actualy for carbonic acid to give it a bit of a bite.

The carb level might be it, it has on been on gas for two days. I shook the crap out of it but it might need more time or a higher psi.

The carb level might be it, it has on been on gas for two days. I shook the crap out of it but it might need more time or a higher psi.

Yeah, remember that (apparently) most soda is carbinated higher than beer. I think most on here go for about 30 PSI if I remember correctly.

probably just whatever you are used to. Coke and most everything uses HFCS here so we probably think it tastes better...or at least different. But then again I don't know what Coke tastes like without HFCS (diet coke?) so who knows.

Might be worth trying if it didn't contain crappy artificial sweeteners (Splenda and acesulfame potassium). I'll take regular sugar, please. Or at worst, HFCS.

Unless you are referring specifically to the Red Bull flavor, their sparkling naturals line doesn't contain any artificial sweeteners. Of course those are more expensive.

Unless you are referring specifically to the Red Bull flavor, their sparkling naturals line doesn't contain any artificial sweeteners. Of course those are more expensive.
I was referring to the Energy Drink, but all of the regular flavors drinks are artificially sweetened (along with sugar).

Thanks for pointing out the naturals drinks as they all use sugar, however, only the cola contains caffeine (but no indication how much?).

I just did the math and to make a bar strength drink pre mixed in a keg using this product you would have to add 2 fifths of booze to 3 gallons of soda. This would give you a strength of 5% ABV, which is equal to 1.5 oz booze to 10 oz of soda. The real question is would you have to constantlty be shaking the keg to mix the alcohol before you pour a glass.

...The real question is would you have to constantlty be shaking the keg to mix the alcohol before you pour a glass.

Can see why you would need to, alcohol mixes with water no problem. Just think of beer, we don't need to keep shaking the beer kegs to keep the alcohol mixed in :)

Can't see why you would need to, alcohol mixes with water no problem. Just think of beer, we don't need to keep shaking the beer kegs to keep the alcohol mixed in :)

My thought is that when you are having a mixed drink you usually have to keep stirring the drink to keep the alcohol from separating from the mixer. maybe it is just a nervous habit for me that I do not need to do.

My thought is that when you are having a mixed drink you usually have to keep stirring the drink to keep the alcohol from separating from the mixer. maybe it is just a nervous habit for me that I do not need to do.

Yeah never had that happen to me, I think you need to RDWHARB&V :D

I think its the ice in the drink watering down, water is lighter thus sits on top and your heavier soda/alcohol is benieth hence the stirring around to disperse evenly.

one thing I haven't seen mentioned is. that using this syrup in your system is going to be a ***** if you wish to serve beer out of said, keg, serving lines, tap again.

all the orings will smell of the syrup and taint your beer. the servring lines will likely end up the same unless you are using barrier tubing.

so this is best to use a dedicated keg , serving line, and tap.

OR just carbonate your water with co2 and get a hand pump bottle and just pump syrup into carbed water to taste.

-=jason=-

I think its the ice in the drink watering down, water is lighter thus sits on top and your heavier soda/alcohol is benieth hence the stirring around to disperse evenly.

one thing I haven't seen mentioned is. that using this syrup in your system is going to be a ***** if you wish to serve beer out of said, keg, serving lines, tap again.

all the orings will smell of the syrup and taint your beer. the servring lines will likely end up the same unless you are using barrier tubing.

so this is best to use a dedicated keg , serving line, and tap.

OR just carbonate your water with co2 and get a hand pump bottle and just pump syrup into carbed water to taste.

-=jason=-

I think it had been said but mostly ignored :eek:, I agree with you and my plan is to didicated a keg to soda (Red Bull) as I got one that had been repaired (welded at the bottom joint between the side/base) that I am a bit uneasy about using for beer so this is perfect for it. Now just got to get 2-3 more cornies for beer and I'll be sweet, 5 beer - 1 soda.

Don't we? Damn!... Maybe that's why my beer is always all foamy.

Or why you can drink your beer like a hard-man all day, and your mate drinks only the last pint from the keg and he gets taken to the ER ;)

If you have a bed, bath and beyond nearby, you can pick it up there instead of ordering it online. That's where I got mine.

Plus you can use those giant 20% coupons that never expire.

(seriously they never expire. We just used one from like 2002 the other day.)

On a related topic, I once tried to make Perrier by tossing in water, and a couple halved lemons, and a couple halved limes into my keg. It tasted really great for the first few days, but I think the rind (in particular the white part) really turned the drink bitter. I want to try it again, but grate most of the white off the peels (or perhaps just squeeze a little juice in there instead). Whenever I get my chest freezer, I'm going to have two beers, perrier and red bull on tap.

So I did this.. Used 1 bottle of syrup to 3 gallons of filtered water in a 3 gallon keg, then force carb'ed it up. It tastes more like the sugar free red bull that the regular, but I'm ok with that. I'm sold!

Just picked up a bottle of the Energy mix. If I'm figuring correctly, it should be two capfuls for a 2-liter bottle, is that right?

Planning to use my carbinator cap.

Did you just use tap water with two capfuls, then hook up the carbinator? Or did you carb the water first?

I filled the 2-liter with water from my Brita filter and the syrup, and then force carbed it by shaking it while connected to c02.. then let it sit overnight.

so are you guys adding powder caffiene to get it to redbulls level? i always thought that the was the point of redbull, the taste isnt that great.

Back