Just a heads up....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpd966

Reaction score
Got my copper coil immersion chiller outta the garage this week. It had been in there all winter. To my surprise it had frozen and the ice inside the coils split the copper, leaving a gaping slice in it.

This is prolly common sense to most but I overlooked blowing it out with my air compressor prior to winter storage. Just a heads up for all those absent minded brewers like myself.

Yeah, I keep the chiller and my pumps in the house during the winter....Hindsite is 20/20. Hopefully it's something you can fix.

Thanks...built a new one the next day. Upgraded to a 50 ft. coil cost less than $60 to build. Cooled 5 gal. of wort in 15 min. SWEET! love those things.

I had the same thing happen to me last year. I store my brewing equipment in the attic. Never gave it a second thought. The IC had a 1/2 inch split in it, cleaned it up, soldered it up, good to go. Now I keep it in the basement.

I was worried about that, so I always blow the water out of my plate chiller and IC coil. Also, my pumps are mounted vertically, so the liquid just drains out when I disconnect the hoses.

Heh, I actually got my lip stuck to a disconnect on my plate chiller one night. It was COLD that night.

:D

Anybody ever successfully repair a wort chiller? Mine has about 8 holes in it. I bought compression couplings to fix it but then thought about expansion and contraction of copper in boiling liquid. So has anybody ever done it successfully, or should i just get a new chiller?

I bought compression couplings to fix it but then thought about expansion and contraction of copper in boiling liquid.

i dont see why this would be a problem if you are using metal compression couplings.

Latest posts

Back