Cheap starter vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerNerd

Reaction score
I was at walmart the other day when I ran across some 1L light blue PET water bottles for around $1.50-$2.

They have a "squeeze" type valve on the cap.

I was wondering if it would be ok to use these for starters. The material is the same as a better bottle. I also figure that cap would be nice to pop open to relieve CO2/oxygenate.

What do ya'll think? Yay or nay?

You can make a starter in anything sanitary and food safe.

To stick it on a stir plate, you would need a flat, thin bottom though.

1L is also a bit undersized for most starters. Generally for most modest sized beers you will be making a starter somewhere in the 1 to 1.5L range and you need a bit of head space in there. Another alternative is 1/2 gallon growlers or wine jugs.

ya want cheap? why not use something that you ALREADY bought?
spaghetti, pickles (with a lot of cleaning), heck a GROWLER!!!! find a flat one.

Plastic milk jugs are HDPE so you wouldn't even have to worry about the starter wort being too hot like you would with a PET bottle.

My toddler goes through a gallon of apple juice every two weeks. I just clean and sanitize the latest empty, and I recycle after I'm done.

Back