Fermentation Stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XanderBrew

Reaction score
Brewed a Irish Stout Kit on Sunday...changed up the recipe to add 8 oz. of Cocoa at last 30min of boil. Fermentation started great first 24 hours then fizzeled out and is very slow. Temp is a about 70deg. Still fermenting but very very very slow....should I transfer to sec now. It will only be 4 day tomorrow?

Was planning to rack to secondary on top of 3lb of pureed cherries but am concerned that the batch may be bunk. Any ideas?

Have you taken hydrometer readings or are you relying on the airlock? Don't trust the airlock, it's decieving.

I'm 100% sure it's fine. Let it go. I've had beers take a month before they were done fermenting. Even then, you want to let them rest for an extra week or so. I realize you want to taste the homebrew as fast as possible, but trust me (and everyone else on the board) when we tell you to be patient and wait. After you bottle, wait at least 3-4 weeks to drink it. Stouts taste much better with time. 3-6 months should do great for it.

Follow Suth's advice above.

#1 - bubbles dont = fermentation. Use a hydrometer. Much more accurate.

#2 - read up on "long primary"... racking to the secondary before primary fermentation is complete is usually a mistake.

welcome to HBT!

Your beer is doing great. Let it become better beer. No need for another reading for two weeks.

Put it on cherries then.

Thanks everyone for your input!! This site is very helpful. Starting out simple but getting there! I will keep posting as this unfolds...

Thanks again!

Best of luck Xander.. as the others have said, check the temps and be patient. It will certainly be worth it in the end.

Just realized that the kit had two yeast packets, the ingredient list only listed one, only one was pitched, should I add the second one, or just forget it at this point? Why would they list only one packet but give me two....

Don't worry...I am still patient and gonna ride it out all the way...

Back