Using less than fresh hops for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gameface

Reaction score
I was in the process of making an IPA when I had a terrible stuck mash. I tried to recover it but long story short after my second failed attempt I tried to dump the contents of the igloo cooler mash tun into 5gal buckets and ended up with it all over my shirt. I had already prepared my hop additions and they were open at room temp. When I finally made the IPA a few days later I didn't want to use the hops I had originally intended to use because I've been disappointed with how much hop character I've been getting so I didn't want to wonder if it was the way I had handled the hops.

So, all that said, what I'm wondering is if it would be okay to use the hops that I had open for dry hopping? I order bulk hops from hops direct and split them up using mason jars and an adapter for a foodsaver to vacuum seal them in 2-4oz portions. So I have 3oz in a jar that I didn't re-vacuum seal and put back in a fridge, not a freezer. They've been that way for 2.5 weeks.

Good to go? Thanks in advance for giving me a little piece of mind. This is my first time dry-hopping.

If you buy "fresh hops" in August, they're 11 months old (or more).
I'd go ahead and use those hops and never look back...

Cheers!

If you buy "fresh hops" in August, they're 11 months old (or more).
I'd go ahead and use those hops and never look back...

Cheers!

So I guess the question is, hops lose their ability to bitter before they lose their flavor or aroma? I should still get good aroma out of these not so fresh hops that were not so fresh to begin with?

I was only going to use 2oz, but ended up adding the additional 3oz of already opened hops. So for 10 gal of 6.5% IPA with estimated IBUs of 110, I'm using 5oz of 6.4% cascade hops to dry-hop.

So I guess the question is, hops lose their ability to bitter before they lose their flavor or aroma? I should still get good aroma out of these not so fresh hops that were not so fresh to begin with?[...]

Generally, as hops oxidize, the aroma character turns decidedly unpleasant at a certain point, discouraging one from discovering whether the flavor characters are equally affected. But I would think the bittering components would persist...

Cheers!

It seems as though you're removing most of the oxygen with the food saver attachment so I would think oxidation wouldn't be a huge issue. I do almost the same thing however I flush the jar with CO2 while filling it with hops and then quickly use the attachment. In my mind I think at that point what I'm really extracting from the jar would be Co2 and there should only be small amounts of Co2 left. I have had excellent results with this method. Long and short of it is... Go ahead and use them if your nervous use a little more.

Check my sig to see the (approximate) affect a couple weeks in a fridge w/ o2 on them for the variety you have.

Back