Holy fermentation Batman!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_awesome

Reaction score
Hey all, Brewing a Coopers kit in a 6.5 gallon carboy. I have brewed a few of these so far without anything crazy happening.

Last night I noticed my batch was fermenting like crazy! Lots of bubbles and foam starting to get near the top towards the airlock.

Temperature is 68 degrees, I only used the 1 7G packet of yeast and the 1 kilo of dextrose like I always do.

Today I wake up and there is krausen all over the airlock and the airlock is going up and down really fast, with foam all in it.

I guess my question is, should I take off the airlock off and let some of the co2 escape, is keeping the airlock on slowing down fermentation etc? I just don't want the carboy to explode!

I rigged one using the bottom part of my airlock with a hose going to a empty bottle, all sanitized up.

Thanks for the advice, wouldn't want 6.5 gallons of beer all over the shop floor!

Back