Russian River infused French Oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have this baggey of Oak chips from Vinnie Calruzio. Given their lineup I assume it's French Oak chips from a disposed barrel.

There is about 4 to 6 ounces of dried chips in the bag and the bag is nearly a year old.

I am curious about the "dry shelf life" of these chips. In that I wonder at what point will the bugs no longer be useable?

I am a fan of wild beers but, I am not in a any hurry to brew any. I am considering letting this go if there is in fact a determinable shelf life for non commercially dried yeast. I assume the bacteria that are in the wood would stay viable indefinitely but without the brett I fear I'd just make malt vinegar.

I've got some oak chips lying around.. the guy at LHBS suggested a quick boil to sterilize them before adding to 2ndary/keg.

I've got some oak chips lying around.. the guy at LHBS suggested a quick boil to sterilize them before adding to 2ndary/keg.

Yeah that is fine if you are just after the oak character but the chips I have are special because of the bugs that are in them and that is the base of my question. In simpler words, how long are the bugs good for before I have wood chips with dead yeast and bacteria?

Given the source of the bugs sterilizing these chips would be an insult to the brewer that gave them out (VC). I may chose to use them at some point but, if the lifeline is waining then I may opt to donate them to someone who can use them before they flatline, if that is a possibility.

If they will store dry indefinitely, I'll hold onto them and brew my own wild one day, much later.

You need to use then asap so send them to me and I'll use them. J/K i think they do have a shelf life but not sure how long. email vinni and ask him.

Thread Revival...

Did anyone ever come up with an answer to this question?

I have the same chips that my buddy brewed with and pulled them out of his carboy ~ a year ago.

Is the brett dead??? I have a belgian sour mix which is brett, pedio, and lacto. Would I be better off to use the mix, or are the chips still ok?

I'm transferring in a few hours, so any help is appreciated.

:mug:

Thread Revival...

Did anyone ever come up with an answer to this question?

I have the same chips that my buddy brewed with and pulled them out of his carboy ~ a year ago.

Is the brett dead??? I have a belgian sour mix which is brett, pedio, and lacto. Would I be better off to use the mix, or are the chips still ok?

I'm transferring in a few hours, so any help is appreciated.

:mug:

Hey Buddy! It was actually almost 7 months ago I pulled them out of the Blackberry Sour. They were in that batch for about 6 months. Before I pitched them into that batch they sat on the sidelines for about a year. Before I initially brewed with them, the Cherry Sour, they sat for about a year as well. 2 good beers. Are you worried that third time might not be the charm? I can understand that, and agree that it is a crapshoot, so if you don't use them i won't be offended. :mug:

By the way that 100% Brett A beer is smelling sweeeeett! Can't wait to sample it. I will let you know when I do and I can bring some down to you when I hit the next farmers market. :rockin:

So if anyone out there has any info on how many times one can ferment with these I am all ears. I am assuming that it will be a decent number before one of the beasties gets to be the dominant one.

The first batch (anyway) was American oak chips he had used in Damnation 23. Not sure if a similar story applies to later dime bags.

I got some from the first round, but didn't get to use them until ~9 months after he handed them out. I got plenty of funk, but not much sourness (despite making a starter from them and pitching it in primary along with a Belgian strain). I'd use them as soon as possible, and toss the blend in as well, the more bugs the merrier.

Back