Recipie help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jornellas

Reaction score
I have 2 ounces each of Amarillo (sp) Chinook, & Cascade. Also have 10lbs pale LME and a slurry of wlp001. Dose anyone have an Idea how this might turn out or perhaps a good hop schedule? Looking for a good hoppy IPA

Thanks for Any Help.

J

thats an og of 1.070...im guessing your bittering hops are around 8aau so iwould use:

1 ounce chinnook (60)
1 ounce amirrillo (60)
1 ounce chinnook (30)
1 ounce amirrillo (20)
1 ounce cascade (10)
1 ounce cascade (dry)

which should give you 70+ ibu's

Are you planning to use specialty grains? (Maybe you just left that part out, since you're focussing on the hop schedule.)

I'm a big fan of some toasty flavor in an IPA: 1/2 pound of toasted 2-row malt and/or something else with a toasty flavor (aromatic or a bit of roasted barley), along with some crystal.

If you're thinking a really high IBU IPA, give it some flavor backbone to hang all that hoppiness off of.

Sorry if that's not really what you're asking.

I'd use the Chinook for bittering only, the other two at something 15, 5, 2, and dry hop (small quantities at each)

Thanks for the advice, I actually have a pound of caravienna and a pound of 2 row. Im planning on doing a mini mash with them.

yeah i agree that you should use some specialty grains...at least a pound of 10-40 crystal, and .25-.75 lbs of either victory, special'b', or aromtaic or anything really, just nothing to dark (ipa's are on the pale side)

i would toast some of that 2-row, 1/2 lb. maybe. the malty vienna, toasted two row and a 1/2 lb-1 lb. of crystal 20L or less (L) will give a nice malt backbone for a hoppy IPA. i'd do a oz. of chinook for bittering, 1/2 oz. cascade at 30, 1/2 oz. cascade and 3/4 oz. amarillo at 15, 3/4 oz. amarillo and 1/2 oz. cascade at 5, and 1/2 oz. of amarillo and cascade dry. that will give you 75 IBUs which is almost perfect for a real hoppy IPA. personally i like IPAs in the 60 IBU range, which you cabn achieve by cutting part of the chinook out. you'll also have an oz. of chinook left over.

yeah amarillos are one of my favorite hops, they compliment cascades nicely, giving the same floral/citrussy qualities but adding complexity also.

i wish i could go somewhere where i could smell a ton of variety of hops and then taste a beer made with each one so you understand whats going on with each variety. just dreaming though...

Drengel perfect idea! Maybe thats something to do one day... make a bunch of 1 gallon single hop bears and taste side by side!

Thanks for all the help guy!

drengel said:
i wish i could go somewhere where i could smell a ton of variety of hops and then taste a beer made with each one so you understand whats going on with each variety. just dreaming though...
That's a great idea. I do occasionally open up all the hops I have at home and smell them one after another to get a good idea of what each one would contribute. I know some people use a base recipe, such as an APA, and single-hop it with different hops but that would be way too much beer just to sample 3-4 different hops individually.

I was never a Scotch appreciator until I went to a tasting in Sweden (oddly enough, and at work after hours!). The host had small jars of many different flavors which exist in Scotch, such as vanilla, apple, peat, etc. It was a totally different experience to sniff the various jars and then sample the various Scotchs back to back. I still really don't care for Scotch, but at least I can appreciate it more.

drengel said:

During the one meeting I went to for CARBOY (local brewing club) they were planning to do this very thing. A number of people were going to brew up a simple pale ale (same recipe) and they were all going to select one type of hops to use for their batch. Calculations were to be used to ensure that each batch had approximately the same IBUs.

I never went back to CARBOY, but if you are a member of a local brew club, maybe you can suggest a similar idea at your next meeting.

-walker

I realize Chinook is primarily a bittering hop but I was wondering if anyone has used them to dry hop?

I find Chinook pretty harsh. Might be OK for dry hopping.

The BEST dry hops to use are Centennial and Amarillo. You can't go wrong :D

jornellas said:
I realize Chinook is primarily a bittering hop but I was wondering if anyone has used them to dry hop?

i suppose you could be i wouldnt reccomend it when youve got two great hpos for dry hopping with your amarillo and cascade.

jornellas said:

Yeah I have dryhopped with the pellets before in a huge IPA recipe I occasionally do. It usually has an ounce of Cascade and half to a full ounce of Centennial, but when I did not have that I used a half ounce of Chinook, which was my original bittering hop. Gave it a nice spicey bite and smelled like a citrousy christmas tree. oodles of malt sweetened out the bite. I thought it was great, but I love chinook hops. not for everyone for sure, but in small doses it is fine.

I really like the taste of Chinnook, love the bite... But I don't want it to overpower the others...

Latest posts

Back