High mash temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine called me and was wondering how fermentable his beer would be if the mash was held at 162F for an hour. It seems his thermometer was out by about 4 or 5 degrees F. He was trying for a temp of 158 since he was using some rye in his recipe. I had told him I was uising rye and he decided to try it too. :)

I've made 8 batchs of AG rye so far, screwed up each step, haven't mashed right yet, drank them all. Well, one is in bottles, one into the fermenter today. My feeling is that the temps quoted are ideals, not that critical. Todays batch never did get to 150, my OG was 1.061 anyhow. Seeds don't get to 150 either, yet they sprout and grow just fine. And, drying and roasting certainly exceed 170, yet yeast still makes strong drink...Lighten up, have a brew, look forward to somehtin different.

Denny's Brew said:
A friend of mine called me and was wondering how fermentable his beer would be if the mash was held at 162F for an hour. It seems his thermometer was out by about 4 or 5 degrees F. He was trying for a temp of 158 since he was using some rye in his recipe. I had told him I was uising rye and he decided to try it too. :)

It should be okay--I'm sure it converted, and quick-like. :)
It will be high in unfermentable sugars and will have a nice thick body. In short, it will probably turn out to be beer. :p

Yeah, that's basically what I said. Just curious though to how this will effect his FG? His OG was 1.054

I told him to use Nottingham for yeast since that has a high attenuation and the more fermentable sugars he can ferment out, the better.

Denny's Brew said:
No one else?

Like they said, at that temperature allot of unfermentable sugars are produced. No matter what yeast you use, you will still end up with a higher gravity than a wort that was mashed in at 149 to 158 degrees. A good fix for this is when its done fermenting and you take a gravity, and its kinda on the high side then you can add some dme or lme. A higher ending gravity will lend a good deal to the body and the head, but adding dme or lme will improve the alcohol. hope this answers your question.

Latest posts

Back